SiliconDust tuner buffering in WMPlayer filling SSD?

newnerd

HTPC Specs: Show details

SiliconDust tuner buffering in WMPlayer filling SSD?

Post by newnerd » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Hi all:

I have a HTPC with a SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL 2-Tuner ATSC DLNA/UPnP Compatible Streaming Media Player, HDHR4-2US. This is a network tuner that can stream live tv over the network to multiple computers. It is supposed to work with Windows Media Center set up as a dual-tuner or in Window Media Player via DLNA playback. I also have a Hauppauge single tuner installed in my HTPC and it is more sensitive (stronger signal) so I record most everything using that in Windows Media Center. I have not installed the SiliconeDust tuner in Media Center because then I can not control which tuner will record a particular program. I like to watch live tv in Media Player when the Hauppauge internal tuner is recording something else but have just discovered that the 120 GB SSD with my operating system has suddenly filled up to within 8 GBs of capacity. When I select a channel to watch in Media Player via DNLA the PC shows it is buffering for a few minutes then the program will start playing with no problems. This same problem happened on the SSD in my NUC PC. I can not find anything else that could be filling up both SSD's and the problem just became noticeable when I started using DLNA for live streaming.

Is it possible that Windows Media Player is acting like it is recording the live streams and saving the programs somewhere where I can't tell. In both PC's I have separate HDs for recorded TV and in Media Center have selected the other drives for recorded tv so I won't fill up the SSD's.

On the NUC PC I have already had to re-install Windows 7 O.S. because the 240 GB SSD had filled to within 10 GBs of capacity in a couple of weeks after starting to watch shows via DLNA in Media Player. I couldn't find the Recorded TV folder in the C: drive to see if there are any shows recorded there. I'm down to only 8 GBs left on the O.S. SSD in my HTPC now and will probably have to re-install Windows soon in that too. I hate to give up on watching TV with Media Player because then I wouldn't be able to record and watch tv at the same time. My antenna signal is too weak to use a dual internal tv tuner even with a signal amplifier in line. Anyone with any helpful ideas?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:33 pm

You have a few things going on don't you. I suppose the SSD filling up is the immediate concern. Have you tried a search of your PC for the Recorded TV folder.
Attachments
RecordedTV.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Confirm or change the location of your Recording drive in WMC. Open WMC and navigate to/Settings/TV/Recorder/Recorder Storage.
Attachments
RecordedTV002.jpg

newnerd

Post by newnerd » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Hi Crash2009:
My HTPC Media Center Application is set to and has been recording to one of 4 multi-terabyte HD's not including the 120GB SSD with the operating system on it. My NUC PC has a 240 GB O.S. SSD and a 2.5" 750 GB hard drive set for recordings and has only a dozen recordings so far. My problem seems to be with Windows Media Player not recordings made with Media Center. I don't know how to find Recorded TV on the C: drives. From the time the operating systems were installed I immediately set up the non-operating system drives to be the recording drive in Media Center. Could it be there is NO Recorded TV file on the C: drives since none was set up in the initial Media Center set-up or is there a Recorded TV file by default even if it was never recorded to or used for a temporary file while watching TV?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Do a search like post number 2. Or, search *.wtv

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:59 pm

Better yet, get one of the many free disk volume analysis tools (that show the folders by size and color, etc. to determine which "temp" folder is so huge...

Just google for disk file size analysis

Try this link for suggestions... http://lifehacker.com/5915921/the-best- ... or-windows

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:33 pm

I think I misunderstood your question. I have no suggestions for a NUC.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:55 am

It might be worth looking here (and any sub folders) for temp / buffer / transcoded files maybe:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player

Edit: Turn on hidden files/folders in explorer or you won't be able to see it!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.