"Copying Prohibited" error on OLD recordings?

MMoser

HTPC Specs: Show details

"Copying Prohibited" error on OLD recordings?

Post by MMoser » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Here's a weird one...

My setup has been up and running great for over a year, and I just started getting the "Copying Prohibited" error after removing a virus from my HTPC this weekend. What's weird to me is I'm only getting this error on old recordings, if I go to HBO and hit record, it does everything as expected and playback is fine from that recording.

Attempted fixes:
-used system restore to go back as early as possible
-re-synced my clock, it was over 1 min off
-removed anti-virus
-uninstalled/re-installed playready software
-went through WMC General Setup in Settings menu

HTPC Specs:
Win 8.1 (up-to-date)
Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH
EVGA GTX 770
24GB RAM
12TB Storage
Cable Provider: Time Warner

I tried researching this issue, but haven't found a fix that is working for old recordings.

Any ideas?

seajunk

Post by seajunk » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:53 pm

It sounds like you've lost your encryption keys for those past recordings, maybe from the virus or in the act or removing it.
Do you have a pre-virus system image you can restore? Keep in mind if you do restore, you may not be able to play any copy protected content more recent than that date.

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks for the reply seajunk!

I have a primary backup from when I first got the system up and running the way I liked, however I'd like to stay away from that option if possible as we have current recordings going on right now.

In doing some more digging, could it be possible that it is the cache giving a issue?

Found this process here, but am reluctant to try it since I haven't upgraded any hardware.
link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 8635b2e2ca

1) Quit Windows Media Center if running.

2) Open a cmd prompt - run as administrator.

3) Run the following commands one at a time:
Code:
net stop ehrecvr
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
net start ehrecvr

4) Run Windows Media Center. Update PlayReady by going through Tasks, Settings, TV, TV Signal, Update PlayReady.

This was the only solution that allowed for Playready Update to succeed from within Windows Media Center.

Normal playback worked immediately without any loss of set up or configuration information....

Any other ideas?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:26 pm

I did that before and it did allow playready to update when I was having issues but I think the suggestion to restore would be your best bet. Are your recordings on a non OS dirve if so I don't think your new recordings will be hampered by the restore. You may want to just try both. There is a process to just take control of and rename your drm key which makes playready just create a new key and this didn't kill my old recordings. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... cb1d39afb0

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:55 pm

Thanks for the reply cwinfield!

I did get to updating the Playready by uninstalling, and then using wmc to get the prompt. No issues there, just wondering if clearing the cache files might be another thing to try or if it's best to leave them alone?

My recordings are on another non-os drive, however I'd really like to avoid a OS restore sending me back a year if possible.

Thanks for the link you posted, when you did it does it wipe all the settings in WMC also? I have custom themes and layouts setup and was wondering if I should expect to re-do all of those after the reset?

Thanks again!

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:03 pm

Yes, I did lose my theme and associated settings but that is due to the uninstall of WMC. I think I tried clearing the cache but it didn't end up fixing my issue.

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:19 pm

Ok, thanks cwinfield.

Guess I'll have to give that a shot, unless there is another suggestion out there that won't wipe WMC?

Thanks again!

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Before you restore from your backup image, you could use this WMC backup program to at least backup your recording schedule so you wont have to enter all your series to record again. It won't back any themes you've installed though, but you should be able to backup your theme with the MC Studio program or the program you made the theme with.

http://www.seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

MMoser

Post by MMoser » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:24 am

Badass! Thanks for the tip oakley516!!