New build from scratch - any advantages with Windows 8 vs 7

JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

New build from scratch - any advantages with Windows 8 vs 7

Post by JTScribe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:31 am

Either way, it will be a 64-bit build with a Ceton tuner card.

Eckless

Post by Eckless » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:38 am

I have done both and found little difference between the two. If you can deal with some of the UI quirks in win 8 I would do win 8 on the very slight chance there will be a WMC update. But that is pretty remote. :)

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:45 am

If it's not a huge difference I suppose I will just save myself the money and stick with 7.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:13 am

If you've got the Win7 licence, then use that. There is no functionality difference between 7MC and 8MC. There is, as Eckless mentions, the possibility of an update to 8MC, but we all know that chance is zero.

Only advantage to going with 8MC that I can think of is for the longer support lifecycle of the base OS, but if it's a dedicated media machine you're building, even that is pretty irrelevant.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:42 am

If you own a smart TV, Windows 8 (with proper configuration) allows use of DirectShow Filters to push content to the TV using the Play To (DLNA) functionality. You can rightclick an MKV (on your home network), choose Play To, and have the LAV Filters do the splitting/decoding. You cannot do this on Windows 7.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:30 pm

You may not be able to push content from Win 7 (I'm not convinced you can't), but you can easily pull it.

Also Win 8 doesn't work with any extenders except Xbox.

And consider the added stress of accidentally clicking the charms bar at any moment or getting stuck in metro land.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:27 pm

Shark007 wrote:If you own a smart TV, Windows 8 (with proper configuration) allows use of DirectShow Filters to push content to the TV using the Play To (DLNA) functionality. You can rightclick an MKV (on your home network), choose Play To, and have the LAV Filters do the splitting/decoding. You cannot do this on Windows 7.
I do own a newer Panasonic but I'm unsure if it supports DLNA. 95% of my content/playback is through the remote control, I try to avoid using the keyboard if at all possible.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:41 pm

mdavej wrote:You may not be able to push content from Win 7 (I'm not convinced you can't), but you can easily pull it.
My point is that the Play To functionality on Windows 7 is restricted to using Media Foundation components only.
On Windows 8, Play To can use DirectShow components.
JTScribe wrote:I do own a newer Panasonic but I'm unsure if it supports DLNA.
If your TV has an RJ45 jack (network cable connection), it most likely supports use of DLNA playback.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:54 pm

If you are directly connecting an HDMI cable to your HTPC AND you are attempting to utilize the built in Intel HD video drivers then stay away from windows 8. There is a memory leak under windows 8 if you leave WMC up when you turn off your TV. Microsoft has been aware of it for months and it still seems to be broken

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:55 pm

ewtaylo wrote:If you are directly connecting an HDMI cable to your HTPC AND you are attempting to utilize the built in Intel HD video drivers then stay away from windows 8. There is a memory leak under windows 8 if you leave WMC up when you turn off your TV. Microsoft has been aware of it for months and it still seems to be broken
Ah, interesting. I am planning on using a Z97 board so I will be using the Intel video. Thanks for the heads up.

paqman3d

Post by paqman3d » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:07 pm

I was on the fence with this myself since I have a Windows 7 Ultimate license just sitting around, but I went with Windows 8 purely from a aesthetic perspective. The apps on the start screen are really nice when used for HTPC stuff. Netflix, Hulu, Vevo, Spotlite (for Spotify), and weather are all good apps that enhance the experience for me. Then you get into customization with Oblytile and you can make a beautiful interface that's clear to see from the couch.

I only use WMC for Live TV and DVR. The other perks of it are done better in other apps on Windows 8. Xbox Music for example has a much cleaner look for your music collection and even the photos app is pretty neat, even though I barely use it. To me, 8 is just a better HTPC OS.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:12 pm

paqman3d wrote:I was on the fence with this myself since I have a Windows 7 Ultimate license just sitting around, but I went with Windows 8 purely from a aesthetic perspective. The apps on the start screen are really nice when used for HTPC stuff. Netflix, Hulu, Vevo, Spotlite (for Spotify), and weather are all good apps that enhance the experience for me. Then you get into customization with Oblytile and you can make a beautiful interface that's clear to see from the couch.

I only use WMC for Live TV and DVR. The other perks of it are done better in other apps on Windows 8. Xbox Music for example has a much cleaner look for your music collection and even the photos app is pretty neat, even though I barely use it. To me, 8 is just a better HTPC OS.
That's what I was hoping to do. But I never figured out how to navigate using my remote. Has anything changed in that regard, or do you still have to use a keyboard/mouse in Metro? Is that what Oblytile does for you? Do you then get remote controls in the apps (Netflix, etc.)?

paqman3d

Post by paqman3d » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:20 pm

mdavej wrote: That's what I was hoping to do. But I never figured out how to navigate using my remote. Has anything changed in that regard, or do you still have to use a keyboard/mouse in Metro? Is that what Oblytile does for you? Do you then get remote controls in the apps (Netflix, etc.)?
Nah, the remote thing still stinks. But I don't even mind now with the Logitech TK-820 keyboard. It has a giant trackpad with Windows 8 gestures and shortcuts built in. It took a few days to get used to, but considering I hate trackpads, this thing was the best $80 I spent and really, REALLY brings the whole experience together. The keyboard is so good, sometimes I just use it in WMC by itself to control it. Fast forward, rewind, play, pause, etc. commands are shortcuts already. I'd def. suggest it.

It also makes the lack of remote support in Netflix easier to deal with. Two finger scrolling from left to right feels natural in the app.

Oh yeah, the battery life is GREAT. I got about 4 months of continuous use out of the set that came packed in.

The only downside is that the keys aren't illuminated. Logitech has another KB that does the same functions, but has illuminated keys. It's the K830. The trackpad is smaller though, so I'd suggest the TK-820 if you have bigger hands.

It also passed the girlfriend test with flying colors.

Oblytile just lets you add custom tiles to the start screen. There are a bunch of pre-made ones on the internet but you can make your own in Photoshop, too.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks. I have a nice little Logi keyboard/trackpad already that I pull out on occasion. But I'm a die-hard remote guy. Plus mine has to pass the kid test, baby sitter test, Grandma test, etc., etc. And we often have a couple of people in control on opposite sides of the room. I guess I'll keep what I've got.