I recently did a OS restore - A couple of observations

stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

I recently did a OS restore - A couple of observations

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:47 am

I recently did a windows 7 OS restore couple of observations.

My TV guide isn’t color coded anymore?

The count of my recorded TV folder was shrunk down to the contents of the W7MC storage drive.

I have SSD as a C:\ and three storage drives at one time each of the storage drives where the W7MC storage drive.

After the OS restore the recorded TV folder was 33 titles
Was shrunk from 600 titles.
So I reassigned the W7MC storage drive to a older drive and recorded a one minute show the recorded TV folder count increased to 173 the older drive had 140 titles.

I tried this again w/ another older drive this is a 2TB drive w/ about 10GB free space yes it’s almost completely full
In explorer it’s bar graph is red not blue. the trick didn't work this time and the crecorded TV count remained the same 173.

?will I be able to increase the recorded TV folder back to the 600 titles I had prior to the restore?

Edit I do see these 600 none copy protect titles in explorer and can play from explorer however I like the larger thumbnails that W7MC has.
Thanks STB

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:48 am

I'm not following at all your "count was shrunk down" comments, are you saying you lost 600-33 recordings? What is the part about "three storage drives at one time each of the storage drives where the W7MC storage drive" mean? You mean the recordings are on a separate drive from the SSD where you restored Windows?

The guide color coding is in your WMC Settings - TV / Guide / Guide Page Options.
If you mean above you originally had your recordings on another drive, do you need to reset your Media Library to point to that location, and change the recorder storage location? It sounds like you need to recheck your WMC configuration.
-Alan

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:23 am

You need to add those drives with the 600 titles to your Recorded TV Library. Then they will show up in WMC under Recorded TV.

The drive you select under Recorder Storage should be the one you want new recordings to be written to.

And as the above comment mentioned, the color coding in the guide can be turned on in the settings.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:46 pm

webminster wrote:I'm not following at all your "count was shrunk down" comments, are you saying you lost 600-33 recordings? What is the part about "three storage drives at one time each of the storage drives where the W7MC storage drive" mean? You mean the recordings are on a separate drive from the SSD where you restored Windows?yes

The guide color coding is in your WMC Settings - TV / Guide / Guide Page Options.
If you mean above you originally had your recordings on another drive, do you need to reset your to tMedia Library to point hat location, and change the recorder storage location? It sounds like you need to recheck your WMC configuration.
please provide step by step instruction on how to reset your to Media Library to point that location, I use the recorder storage location for everyday record, watch, delete.

since restore I can't find my on screen keyboard

guide color code resolved.thanks stb

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:27 pm

The recorder storage location, again is where WMC will write new recordings. You set that directory under Settings / TV / Recorder / Recorder Storage. Select the drive and folder where recordings should be stored and save. Exactly where that is, you decide, we don't know your machine.

You need to add all the folders where you've stored recorded TV to the recorded TV media library. That should include the drive/folder you selected above for recorder storage as well. This is under Settings / TV / Recorder / Media Libraries. Just follow the wizard there to add your other drives/folders on this computer to the list. Exactly which, you decide, we don't know your machine. Save your work and WMC should add any found TV content to the recorded TV view.

There's no option for enabling the on-screen keyboard. If you cannot display the keyboard by going to, say, the main menu TV search / titles (where you get a white text box) and click OK (double click if you're using a mouse), then I'm wondering if your restore didn't break something else. If you refer to a different on-screen keyboard, not sure what that is...

Hope this helps.
-Alan

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:44 pm

webminster wrote:The recorder storage location, again is where WMC will write new recordings. You set that directory under Settings / TV / Recorder / Recorder Storage. Select the drive and folder where recordings should be stored and save. Exactly where that is, you decide, we don't know your machine.

You need to add all the folders where you've stored recorded TV to the recorded TV media library. That should include the drive/folder you selected above for recorder storage as well. This is under Settings / TV / Recorder / Media Libraries. Just follow the wizard there to add your other drives/folders on this computer to the list. Exactly which, you decide, we don't know your machine. Save your work and WMC should add any found TV content to the recorded TV view.

There's no option for enabling the on-screen keyboard. If you cannot display the keyboard by going to, say, the main menu TV search / titles (where you get a white text box) and click OK (double click if you're using a mouse), then I'm wondering if your restore didn't break something else. If you refer to a different on-screen keyboard, not sure what that is...

Hope this helps.
when you say "setting " is that really tasks?

if I want to use a onscreen keyboard w/in W7MC I am able to double click if you're using a mouse.

I want to use my windows on screen keyboard so I can type like in explorer or word ect.
Thanks STB

webminster

Post by webminster » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Yes. "Tasks" on the main (home) menu. The "settings" icon in that menu strip. Click into there and take a few minutes exploring and getting familiar again with it, and follow the instructions we've given you.

Regarding on-screen keyboard for IE or Word, that's not WMC. Maybe you need to be looking at Control Panel / Ease of Access. Can't help you there.
-Alan