Microsoft Announces XBox One!

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
trooper11

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by trooper11 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:34 am

slowbiscuit wrote:If the Xbone doesn't support recorded TV it's worthless to me, but since it won't be an extender that goes without saying anyway. Even if it ever does do IPTV someday it's still worthless without true DVR capability and I'm not talking about some fly by night cloud junk either - local storage somewhere or bust.
MS only said they aren't offering traditional dvr features right now. They seemed to hint that they are working on it though, so we may see that come soon enough. The fact that you can use any external drive you like to store anything you use on the system means any future dvr feature could be heavily used.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:44 am

I just read on Engadget about how the Game DVR and OneGuide features will require an Xbox Live Gold subscription. I can understand having some kind of Xbox Live subscription (preferably of the silver variety) for the OneGuide feature. But requiring XBL Gold for the Game DVR? That's as stupid as cable companies that charge a "DVR service" fee.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:03 am

richard1980 wrote:I just read on Engadget about how the Game DVR and OneGuide features will require an Xbox Live Gold subscription. I can understand having some kind of Xbox Live subscription (preferably of the silver variety) for the OneGuide feature. But requiring XBL Gold for the Game DVR? That's as stupid as cable companies that charge a "DVR service" fee.
Millions of stupid people pay the "DVR service" fee.

I was one of them until 2011, when I started looking into the "whole home" DVR thing. After learning that my cable company was going to charge me $82/month (in addition to the $20 they were already charging me for the "privilege" of having ONE DVR) for the "whole home" setup, I found Windows 7 Media Center with a multi-tuner CableCARD tuner.

I dumped the $9.95 DVR rental fee.

I dumped the $9.95 DVR "service" fee.

I added the $2.95 CableCARD fee.

So, instead of paying an extra $82/month, I saved $16.95/month. (Net difference between the cable company's solution and Media Center: $98.95 per month!)

Now, to be honest, I added ANOTHER CableCARD tuner, for an extra $2.95/month, 13 months after I started using Media Center. So, I saved $98.95 for 13 months, and I saved $96/month for the 17 months since then.

Plus, Media Center gives me things I can't get with my cable company's "solution". For example, the cable company's setup doesn't give me a unified recording schedule (each DVR has it's own recording schedule with the cable company).

Media Center is way better than what I would have gotten from the cable company, and I SAVED $16.95 instead of PAYING $82.00 each month!

The choice is a no-brainer.

My original HTPC has been running, trouble-free, for 29 months. If I had paid the cable company for the past 29 months, it would have cost me $2918.35 more for their "service".

Including all the extenders (5 of them), I spent about $2600.00. Overall savings: $318. But... it allows me to do soooo much more than the dumb cable box from the cable company.

Plus, prices have come wayyyy down since I built my first PC. And, I built my first PC while sparing no expense.

My current HTPC was an expensive endeavor. I spent almost $2K on the PC alone.

The new PC I'm working on now is more powerful, uses MUCH less electricity, has more storage space, and cost less. It cost less than $1K to build. I could live with my old one for a few more years, but I really like the idea of having a PC that fits in a case the size of a Bluray player... so I bought all the new components. When I'm done, I'll sell the components from the old PC... which will probably reduce the cost of the new PC to around $500.00.

I expect this new PC to pay for itself in 6 months (after selling the old components) vs. the cost of the whole-home service from my cable provider. It also reduces the size of the PC to about the size of a bluray player! Woo hoo!

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:02 pm

CETONCorp is in such a good position here if they'd only release their Android update with the Echos and fix some of their current MCX problems.

We had been holding out for almost 6 months on another extender for one of the kids rooms because we figured XB1 would replace our main livingroom extender and bluray device and we'd simply move that to the room.

Now that idea is gone, we're left with the realization that we're stuck with the classic MCX technology. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with that; however, it does mean that my desire to have a genuine single box experience for bluray, dvr, home media and online streaming content (Netflix, HBOGo, etc) is gone.

So we're resigned to that fact. Which takes us then to the cost of the Xbox Live Gold family pack that we pay for the privilege of Netflix & HBOGo. Get me the Echo's and I can still have at-least that and the MCX experience in one.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

dirtyvu

Post by dirtyvu » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:16 am

here's the Xbox One's voice commands and OneGuide working with an OTA box, the Mediasonic HW-150PVR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qt6qqNyJXw

MrNorth

Post by MrNorth » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:50 pm

For me this tuner is totally useless since it doesn't come with a CI+ slot for the card. Freeview in Sweden really sucks.

Once again MS, you miss the target. Sure, freeview is much better than the crappy HDMI IR-blaster crap, but if you are going to do something, why not go all the way and do something that is practical to the users?

If this adapter had a CI+ slot it would be perfect for our needs. Without it, it is totally useless...

/Henrik