Windows 8.1 Media Center cannot detect cable card

medikit

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1 Media Center cannot detect cable card

Post by medikit » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 pm

I have HDHomerun Prime and Windows 8.1 on multiple computers. On my desktop everything works fine and I can watch TV. On my new media computer I am unable to detect my cable card when trying to set up the tuner. I have installed digital cable adviser and it can find the three tuners associated with HDHomerun Prime but it is ultimately unable to detect a cablecard. TV works fine if I use HDHomerun's GUI software. I have tried removing and adding back Windows Media Center without any luck. Anything I might be missing?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:28 pm

Did you Run the Digital Cable Advisor in WMC Extra's Gallery?
As well as install PlayReady on the Machine in question?

medikit

Post by medikit » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:51 pm

I did run digital cable advisor.

I don't know what playready is.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:59 am

Open Media Center >Navigate to Tasks /Settings > TV > TV Signal > Install PlayReady
This was a requirement for CableCARD to work in WMC in Windows 7 I assume that Windows 8/8.1 would require this to be installed as well.

medikit

Post by medikit » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:58 pm

newfiend wrote:Open Media Center >Navigate to Tasks /Settings > TV > TV Signal > Install PlayReady
This was a requirement for CableCARD to work in WMC in Windows 7 I assume that Windows 8/8.1 would require this to be installed as well.
Thanks, that seems to have worked. I still have weird HDCP handshake issues but at least I can find my cable card. (Weird handhsake issues as in I need to maximize or minimize media center the first time I run in it before it can play TV.