Has Anyone Noticed? Series Recording

werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Has Anyone Noticed? Series Recording

Post by werds » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:41 pm

OK, so last night I was doing some regular file maintenance and did my usual random cleanup of recorded shows and series on WMC... when I noticed something I swear I do not remember seeing before...
The series recording preset information menus were DIFFERENT... and by different I mean had different options than I usually remember seeing and they were also ignoring the general presets in WMC. Here is a quick smartphone video I took to demonstrate what I saw. I moved through 3 different series that are currently set for recording and I also wandered over to the record presets menu just to show the differences.

Am I nuts and I somehow missed this before? I cannot remember ever seeing this nor do I ever remember series giving me different menu looks (you will notice two of the series gave similar options and one of them gave the menu options I would USUALLY see.)

Apologies for the crappy slightly out of focus video, was shooting it with one hand while remote in other and the AF didn't seem to want to focus properly :( (Note I have windows update service is disabled, the only updates I know of currently are the Windows Guide Updates - although my system restore shows an automatic restore point being created every ~7 days.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6lSHD ... sp=sharing

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 pm

I think it's all in your head :P

I recall seeing all that before.

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:09 pm

All that looks like what I've seen for years, except "quality". Never seen that on my Cablecard based system.
-Alan

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:37 am

My background is blue. How is yours black?

BTW, those options have been there for the 3.5 years I've been using WMC...

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 am

I don't have Quality setting at all, never have.

Under Show Type, I don't have "Live", never have.

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:54 am

adam1991 wrote:My background is blue. How is yours black?
Maybe he has the "high contrast black" theme set. Or Media Center Themer installed.
-Alan

werds

Post by werds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 pm

adam1991 wrote:My background is blue. How is yours black?

BTW, those options have been there for the 3.5 years I've been using WMC...
I should have been clearer about what I am confused by. As you saw the first two shows (Bubble Guppies and Chicago PD) under series settings displayed options which are different than I normally would see when going under series settings and different options than the defaults. If you look closely you will even see it skips a spot where there would normally be other options.

On the 3rd show I pulled up (Gang Related) the options found in series settings is exactly what I have always been seeing. Why the first two shows randomly show something different has me confused - more so I am struggling to remember if I had ever seen the options presented in the first two ever before. The quality settings etc. Then add to this that I have Update services shut off and have not added or changed any software on my HTPC in a long time and only just now seeing this (when I regularly do file maintenance every month or so) is what has me puzzled... add to the fact that the options presented are not consistent across the board but randomly changes...

As to how my screen is black. No it is not the high contrast settings as I didn't like that look and ran across this particular quick and simple hack to get a nice looking black theme. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ack#p49738

Any other changes you might have seen in that video with the jump menu, icons, etc were all applied after the theme change by using MCE Reset Toolbox and then adding a nice splash of color and visual tweaks via Channel Logos

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:26 pm

webminster wrote:All that looks like what I've seen for years, except "quality". Never seen that on my Cablecard based system.

You get "quality" when you use Analog tuners. WMC uses quality setting to determine the settings to digitally record Analog broadcast.

OP must be using NTSC tuners.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:33 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
webminster wrote:All that looks like what I've seen for years, except "quality". Never seen that on my Cablecard based system.

You get "quality" when you use Analog tuners. WMC uses quality setting to determine the settings to digitally record Analog broadcast.

bingo. its for the mpeg2 encoders. pre cablecard I dealt with then when I used a set top box into my tuner's capture attachment.

werds

Post by werds » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:05 pm

blueiedgod wrote:

Nope not using NTSC tuners anymore as Comcast encrypted everything in our area a little while ago. Using just CableCard in my system. Although maybe those are remnants of shows recorded when I HAD NTSC tuners in my system? Even then I never had seen those menus with "Quality" in the system (at least not since I purchased my first infinitv4 anyways).

But at least now I have an explanation for why they show up as I vaguely remember those items back before I moved up to using CableCard. Thanks everyone!

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 pm

Something is different. Frequency does not exist for me, and Show Type is the first setting on mine. At the bottom right I have 6 settings, you have 8. I think you guys figured out the Quality setting, but that still leaves 1 more (Frequency).

werds

Post by werds » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:48 am

werds wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:

Nope not using NTSC tuners anymore as Comcast encrypted everything in our area a little while ago. Using just CableCard in my system. Although maybe those are remnants of shows recorded when I HAD NTSC tuners in my system? Even then I never had seen those menus with "Quality" in the system (at least not since I purchased my first infinitv4 anyways).

But at least now I have an explanation for why they show up as I vaguely remember those items back before I moved up to using CableCard. Thanks everyone!
Actually wait now that I think about it none of my recordings that were shown in that video were recorded via an NTSC tuner, they were all recorded using an ATSC tuner via digital signal coming from Comcast coax... I haven't used the NTSC tuner portions of the HD 450 ATI's (tuners that are no longer installed) that used to be in the system since maybe 2009 or 2010? (Around the time Comcast moved to all digital in my area). I never used it since then because OTA via an antenna pulls in barely 4 stations making it worthless to run the extra wire for an OTA antenna.

And this particular installation of WMC was a fresh install waaaay after the last time I had recorded anything with those NTSC tuners, I want to say the last time I did a fresh Windows install on this system was probably 2012. (Right after I mistakenly attempted to use Windows 8 lol).

So now sure why those options for NTSC tuners would show up :crazy:

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:26 am

just to set you straight and for future clear communication, what came across the coax from your cableco was clear QAM.

ATSC is the digital transmission that comes in via antenna.

werds

Post by werds » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:56 am

adam1991 wrote:just to set you straight and for future clear communication, what came across the coax from your cableco was clear QAM.

ATSC is the digital transmission that comes in via antenna.
Aaah ok, thanks :)