Remote duplicate actions

b1shop

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote duplicate actions

Post by b1shop » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:21 am

First post :)

History: I have a WMCPC running Win 8.1 that I built about a year ago. The case came with a built-in IR receiver and IMon software/drivers. Ever since day 1, I've fought an apparent memory leak issue where the box needed to be rebooted regularly. At it's worst - I was having to reboot every 3-4 hrs. I narrowed it down to iMon - disabling the iMon software, the box stayed up for an entire week while I was on vacation without missing an entire recording. Of course I had to re-enable it to use my remote, and within a few hours had to reboot. Changing to new iMon drivers & software improved the issue to where I could at least go a day or two before having to reboot. And FYI - this is a dedicated Media Center PC - besides the necessary software/drivers for iMon / Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI / Media Browser, there is no other 3rd party software on the machine.

So to address my apparent iMon problem, I ordered a new remote with USB IR Receiver (Rosewill RHRC-11002) based on the fact the receiver uses Microsoft's built-in eHome drivers & doesn't need any 3rd party drivers. The good news is after several days with the new receiver seems to have done the trick as far as the memory leak is concerned. The bad news is that now some remote commands are being repeated. For example - trying to navigate through the MCE menu or guide with the arrow buttons, each button press skips anywhere from 2 to 4 positions. Same thing when trying to use the number keys to jump to a specific channel - each digit button press registers 2-3 times. I'm using a Logitech Harmony Touch remote - but I'm getting the same behavior from both the Harmony remote & the new Rosewill remote.

In researching the issue, I've found some mention about keyboard settings (specifically repeat rate & repeat delay). Setting the repeat rate to the slowest setting & the repeat delay to the longest setting has made no difference. I've also updated the settings on the Harmony remote related to button delays - but that has made no change either (and again, not that I expected it would since the Rosewill remote is doing the same thing). I have a feeling this is a simple setting somewhere - so I'm hoping someone has seen this and can offer some assistance.

Thanks!

Chad

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:14 am

b1shop wrote:The bad news is that now some remote commands are being repeated. For example - trying to navigate through the MCE menu or guide with the arrow buttons, each button press skips anywhere from 2 to 4 positions. Same thing when trying to use the number keys to jump to a specific channel - each digit button press registers 2-3 times. I'm using a Logitech Harmony Touch remote - but I'm getting the same behavior from both the Harmony remote & the new Rosewill remote.
This sounds like contact bounce when the buttons are pressed on the remote control. WMC has a debounce capability which you can enable and disable in the registry. The registry key is something like:

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da\EnableDebounce
Set this key to the value 1 to enable, 0 to disable.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

b1shop

Post by b1shop » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks, but no-go. Just to be safe, I enabled the debounce key for every remote listed then rebooted the PC. No change to the remote behavior.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:43 pm

Dumb question, but did you uninstall the iMon software and drivers?

b1shop

Post by b1shop » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:09 am

OK - I think I got it. The iMon software had been removed, but I wasn't 100% sure about the drivers. Device Manager didn't identify any IR receivers when the external USB was disconnected, and the case IR receiver wasn't working. I finally shut down the box, opened it up & disconnected the built-in IR Receiver from the motherboard. After booting back up, the remote navigation behavior with the Rosewill receiver works as expected.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:41 pm

You can reconnect it and simply select a different non media center remote in the iMon software. I believe you can also toggle the sensor in the software as well. I can look at how mine is set when I get home if it matters to you.