Skipping, Fast Forwarding and Resuming Problems

garak0410

HTPC Specs: Show details

Skipping, Fast Forwarding and Resuming Problems

Post by garak0410 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:20 pm

I am a die hard Windows Media Center user and I am always looking for ways to make it better. I generally stream to my XBOX 360 with the Media Center Extender.

I generally run into problems with the extender where I have problems with fast forwarding and skipping, especially if the media is ripped with a higher data rate. I don't seem to have the problem on my desktop Media Center. In addition, if you go to resume the video, it will oftentimes just sit there and then error out and then you have to start over and if you have the aforementioned skipping problem, well, it just isn't workable.

Any suggestions? Thanks...

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:52 pm

No real suggestions, but I have the same problem. Recorded HDTV is fine, it is only on MP4/MKV content. I think it is just a limitation on the codecs supported by the Xbox. I tend to not use skip on the extender, and if I need to jump far into a file (say 25 minutes) I just press 2,5,Play.

garak0410

Post by garak0410 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:54 pm

3rob3 wrote:No real suggestions, but I have the same problem. Recorded HDTV is fine, it is only on MP4/MKV content. I think it is just a limitation on the codecs supported by the Xbox. I tend to not use skip on the extender, and if I need to jump far into a file (say 25 minutes) I just press 2,5,Play.
Thanks for the tips. I use WinX DVD to rip my legally owned DVD's. Wonder if I need to tweak the settings some? I tend to use MP4 but wonder if WMV would help?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:01 pm

For sure ripping to .dvr-ms or .wtv would give you far better performance. It is also super fast to rip because you don't need to re-encode (it stays as Mpeg2, just switched containers). I used to do this with Video-Redo.

garak0410

Post by garak0410 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:40 pm

3rob3 wrote:For sure ripping to .dvr-ms or .wtv would give you far better performance. It is also super fast to rip because you don't need to re-encode (it stays as Mpeg2, just switched containers). I used to do this with Video-Redo.
My current ripping program doesn't have those options...may need to check into something else.

jerky33

Post by jerky33 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:17 pm

In this post I outline what works best for me for blu-ray's, however you could use MakeMKV to just convert DVD's MPEG2/AC3 based mkv files and use ToDVRMS from there to convert to dvr-ms or wtv files, you't have to test it out to see if there are any drawbacks to using dvr-ms or wtv.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 573#p58573

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:07 pm

garak0410 wrote:In addition, if you go to resume the video, it will oftentimes just sit there and then error out and then you have to start over and if you have the aforementioned skipping problem, well, it just isn't workable.
That sometimes happens when streaming to my Roku with Plex and I am skipping ahead through commercials. It appears that there are certain parts of the video that are difficult to resume from. If the video won't resume, I will skip ahead or back a little bit and let it resume from there.