Live TV from one WMC to another

KHolden

HTPC Specs: Show details

Live TV from one WMC to another

Post by KHolden » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:45 am

I have a Windows 7 workstation for recording and was curious if it is possible to stream the live tv to a Windows 8.1 Media Center system in my home office? I had no trouble sharing the libraries via smb but live tv is another animal altogether.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:23 pm

If you have a Silicondust HD HomeRun tuner or a Ceton tuner, you can share the tuners over the network.

The best solution is to buy an extender for Windows Media Center. The best extender is the XBox 360.

KHolden

Post by KHolden » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:15 pm

I'm currently using a Hauppauge Colossus so tuner sharing is not an option. I'm assuming your answer means no, there is no native support for using one WMC system to view the live video from another. I find that odd honestly - I can live feed an xbox but not another machine running the same software.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Yes the only way to share tuners for live TV is getting either a Ceton Infinitv 6 Ethernet or the Silicon Dust Home Run Prime. I'm thinking that MS didn't think that people would have multiple computers in their house (at least ones connected to a TV) or that people would want to watch TV on their computer thus making it so you need a extender.

One thing you can try is remote control software & see if that works. I think I tried Teamviewer & was able to get picture & sound to come thru (you can set it, so it's a local connection). The only downside would be is the TV/Monitor would need to be turned on at the source otherwise you would get the HDCP error message.
KHolden wrote:I'm currently using a Hauppauge Colossus so tuner sharing is not an option. I'm assuming your answer means no, there is no native support for using one WMC system to view the live video from another. I find that odd honestly - I can live feed an xbox but not another machine running the same software.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:30 pm

You may be able to share the colossus over the network with DVBLogic software. I've never used DVBLogic, but I'm pretty sure I read that it was possible.

But your best bet is still an extender. The XBox 360 isn't the only extender, but it's the best. The others are:

Linksys DMA-2100
Linksys DMA-2200
HP X280N
Ceton Echo

You can buy the Echo new, but it has some bugs and will never get another firmware update. The others are available used on amazon/ebay.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:53 pm

XBMC, PVR WMC, and wmc server might do that for you also. last time I checked XBMC did not stream protected channels though.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:48 pm

Yes, tools like XBMC or MB3 -i.e MediaBrowser (http://mediabrowser.tv/) have modules that run a separate server application on the WMC Box with the tuners ServerWMC (https://0df317251eddfb99d4fce96eecb40d4 ... index.html), and send the liveTV (as well as other stuff, similar to remote potato) to a second machine. Not as "simple" as the extender model, where it is all built into WMC, but a possibility so you can use a remote computer to access your main WMC Box.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:19 am

DVBLink TV Server will do the job. There's client software that will create virtual tuners on your remote Windows Media Center.
And when using their Connect! Server product you can even watch live TV on your tablets/smartphones.
Check their website at dvblogic.com

.Nico