Full Screen Video Trap Remote Control Button

A place for App developers to hang out / post
CobraDuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Full Screen Video Trap Remote Control Button

Post by CobraDuck » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:21 am

Does anybody know how to trap a windows remote control button press event while a video is playing in full screen?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:28 pm

Please explain what you are trying to accomplish.

CobraDuck

Post by CobraDuck » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:12 pm

If I was watching a video fullscreen and hit the 0 key on the remote, it would jump 60 seconds ahead.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Then something is wrong. Are you watching full-screen video in Media Center (NOT Media Player)? Are you using a Media Center IR receiver or is the IR receiver something else that isn't certified for Media Center?

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:29 pm

CobraDuck wrote:If I was watching a video fullscreen and hit the 0 key on the remote, it would jump 60 seconds ahead.
So you want pressing buttons to be context sensitive? It's possible in XBMC, but I never found a way to do it in WMC. What you can do is bind relatively useless buttons like *, #, and Clear to custom keystrokes using ReportMappingTable. You can do this for any unused button on your MCE remote. You could also use EventGhost for that, and I think it would make it possible to define actions for buttons on universal remotes to add commands without messing around with ReportMappingTable. However, I do everything with Autohotkey and ReportMappingTable, and for all devices including the PC, I use RMIR and a JP1 remote to get buttons that aren't present on my device remotes into my universal remote. There are advantages and disadvantages to each method. Signficantly, EventGhost requires the PC to process remote commands, and if you're controlling other devices, you would have to get those commands to them using RS232, TCP/IP, HDMI-CEC, IR blasting, or whatever. My method is just straight-up IR.

CobraDuck

Post by CobraDuck » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:47 pm

Is it possible to just post the button on the remote the user pressed? Like if I'm in media center and watching a video and i press Volume Up on the remote, a dialog box would display "Volume Up pressed".

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Yes, you can do that with EventGhost... but you didn't answer my question. Pressing the zero key should not cause it to jump forward 60 seconds. If that's what is happening now, then please answer my questions from my previous post.