Netflix Add-in search fix

webminster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix Add-in search fix

Post by webminster » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:11 am

I just noticed today, trying a search from the Netflix add-in, it throws errors. Seems to work from Roku or from Netflix Web site. Is this a new problem or has search been broken in the add-in for awhile? Not a huge deal since I can manage this from the Web site, but just wondering.
-Alan

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:19 pm

webminster wrote:I just noticed today, trying a search from the Netflix add-in, it throws errors. Seems to work from Roku or from Netflix Web site. Is this a new problem or has search been broken in the add-in for awhile? Not a huge deal since I can manage this from the Web site, but just wondering.
Search did not work for me this weekend, either. It was working earlier....

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:51 pm

The Netflix search isn't working for me either. And I know it was working because I used it to find some Orange Is The New Black episodes about a week ago.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:00 am

I can't help. I gave up on the Netflix add-in and started using a Roku-3 exclusively. It's sooooo much better than the Netflix add-in for Media Center that I never looked back.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:35 pm

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:42 pm

Really not seeing why that would help this...
-Alan

ruderthanyou

Post by ruderthanyou » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:15 am

Happening to me too. Anyone figure this out?

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:18 am

Since search works on their web site, and works on the Netflix app on my Roku, I suspect they've changed their search API and thereby broken compatibility with the WMC app. Speculation of course.
-Alan

TV_MCE

Post by TV_MCE » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:39 pm

I entered a bug with Microsoft here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... tion-error
Please vote for: "User(s) can reproduce this bug"

FYI:
I have entered several non-guide data-related Windows Media Center bugs here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/Feedback
and Microsoft has responded to them and even fixed some of them. :)

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:23 pm

I get "page not found" on both links.

webminster

Post by webminster » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:37 pm

First link works for me. Do you have a Connect account?
-Alan

colecrew

Post by colecrew » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:41 pm

.Nico wrote:Maybe this might help: http://www.acs-digital-media.com/extras.html

.Nico

.Nico, why would this help?

cadprofessor

Post by cadprofessor » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:19 pm

I noticed this issue several days ago. The exact netflix search problem is showing up on 3 machines, so I am pretty sure it is not a clitch on one machine. I would bet it is cased my the last MS updates that were installed last week. I have searched google and this is the only place I have found that is discussing the issue.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:56 pm

No, it's probably due to Netflix killing its public API. If true, there won't be a fix. You're gonna need to move on to using Netflix on another device (or through the browser, or Metro app - if you prefer that); or not using Netflix altogether.

The WMC Netflix plugin was developed by Microsoft; not Netflix. Therefore, they had to use the public API to make the app. Netflix already announced those they will still allow to use the API privately; Microsoft isn't one of them.

http://developer.netflix.com/blog/read/ ... Public_API

Edit: I see the API cut off doesn't go into effect until November 14th 2014; so maybe it's not related to the API cut off. My mistake. Either way, it's still coming.

darcher

Post by darcher » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:36 pm

I have this same problem too and just registered on Connect to upvote the bug. Hopefully we'll see a fix, but since the plugin hasn't seen a significant upgrade in well, forever, I kind of doubt it.

Anyone have a good idea for who we could contact to at least let MS/Netflix know that there's an enthusiastic community that still uses the WMC Netflix plugin because it is [was?] one of the best solutions around?

LTSkier

Post by LTSkier » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 am

Added my vote. Also found this problem being raised here:
Microsoft Community: Netflix search not working in Windows Media Center (windows 7 pro or Home Premium) http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/80d ... faf560ab30

MrNorth

Post by MrNorth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:06 am

Hi!

Just recently noticed that the netflix plugin was malfunctioning, and voted upvoted the bugs at connect (long time WMC beta tester).

Sadly I know with 99% certainty that nothing will ever be done to any of the media center applications and plugins forever, unless Microsoft is willing to release the source code to codeplex, for the community to keep developing it (which might be impossible due to legal issues).

Still, in 2014 I have not found any software that is as well designed as WMC and works so good. I tested all the latest smart tvs, mediaportal and xmbc and it just pale copies of the brilliance behind WMC.

If anyone in the community has any aces up their holes, now is a good time to shart using them. I had lots of email contacts with Mike Hayton, former member of the ehome team, but I guess he as quit MSFT, cause the mails keep bumping back :/ I have been great helping me solve some issues related to European DVB-T broadcasts and guide issues.

Like some allied general (I think from 1010 airborne) said during the battle of the bulge, when asked to surrender by the germans... "Nuts!". Should the community surrender? Maybe there is an ally in the new MSFT CEO?

/H

MrNorth

Post by MrNorth » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:22 am

Anyone got any feedback at all on this, from MS, Netflix or elsewhere? Maybe some MVP can look into the issues?

/H

itcrack

Post by itcrack » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:14 pm

I thought maybe the issue was due to a Windows Update. But I booted up a VM with Win 7 without any updates and tried to search in the Netflix plugin and still go the error. I'm started to think @Ed above is on to something about the public API for Netflix.

MrNorth

Post by MrNorth » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:43 am

Has Microsoft in the USA officially said thay are no longer supporting Netflix in WMC? If not, since they are still selling WMC as a separate part of Windows 8, surely they must have some kind of responsibility in regards to the plugins as well, especially Netflix that I guess is used by a lot of people and is also developed BY Microsoft.

If they don't care about it anymore, then do please make a press release like they did with the Internet TV.

/S