PC will not sleep as it should

stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

PC will not sleep as it should

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:51 am

Silicon Dust HR will not turn off I beleive could be causeing PC to not sleep

I recently reinstalled the SD Home run, W7MC recognizes the HR as a tuner however during the TV signal setup procedure the HR wasn’t listed by name (initial installation W7MC did list the HR by name) it did list the Hauppauge tuner by name W7MC did list 3 tuners and I have confirmed that I can record 3 programs simultansely.

Note the SD HR will blink green even when the PC is physicalley powered off. It should be blinking red.

Note I attempt to logically press sleep w/ start sleep enter I do observe the red light mometarly come on then back to green blink. PC will go to sleep then one minute later wakes up I believe the HR is causing the PC to wake because the HR is’nt turning off.

Note weird thing when PC is on I usalley can never press my remote PC marco button and have the desktop come on I’m usalley have to physicalley power off the PC before I can turn PC on w/ remote.

I thought maybe the automatic updates where causing the PC wake issues so I turned off to never check for updates still PC wakes

edit I looked in device manager and did'nt see the HR did see the Hauppage.

edit: I've unplugged the 120V AC power to the HR then logicalley put PC to sleep one minute later PC still wakes.

Any tips will be appreciated STB

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Try this.. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/12 ... mmand.html this should tell you what's waking the PC and keeping it from staying asleep.

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:12 pm

w/ the 120V AC power disconnected from the SD HR PC will still wake looks like it's the Samsung EVO SSD which is set to maxium prefornace where hibernation is set on.

I've been using this SSD set up like this before the reinstallation of the HR and it worked fine.

Maybe if I adjust the SSD to turn of the hibernation?

here's a screen shot of the last wake cmd.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:59 am

I use S3 and disable hibernation in the bios. Using hibernation also takes up more space on the OS drive. Try disabling hibernation and setting sleep mode to S3 only.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:21 am

Hibernation writes kind of like an image of your system state to the SSD prior to sleeping the PC. Disabling this will hopefully keep the PC from waking back up but it's also important to disable this for the longevity of your SSD as every time you sleep the PC it "writes" a new system state to the SSD. SSD's have a limited number of writes and it will eventually wear down the SSD and degrade it's performance. Reading from the ssd isn't an issue but constant writing to it can be. Also disabling hibernation should allow you to delete the hibernation image that's written to the ssd and allow you to regain some space on the ssd. You will want to use S3 (suspend to RAM) instead. I hope this helps you out.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:27 am

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:21 am

After looking at your last wake results in the picture (sorry I couldn't read it until I got on a pc and off tapatalk on my phone) it seems your Samsung Magician software is waking the pc. Most likely to run some sort of task to help keep the drive at maximum performance. I would still disable hibernate this may require you to use a different setting instead of performance in the Samsung Magician software, or you may need to remove the Magician software all together. More info on the software can be found here http://www.samsung.com/global/business/ ... per12.html
I would still opt to disable hibernation and use S3 sleep mode for your HTPC. See if setting the profile in the Magician software to Maximum Capacity (which disables hibernation mode) fixes the wake after sleep issue you are having.
newfiend

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:39 pm

newfiend wrote:I use S3 and disable hibernation in the bios. Using hibernation also takes up more space on the OS drive. Try disabling hibernation and setting sleep mode to S3 only.
I have the sleep set at S3 in the BIOS (as it has always been for 2.5 years of use).

never set the hibernation w/ orginale HDD OS drive.

I'v been using a Samsung SSD of my OS succesfully for the initial two weeks.

now sleep issues.

I did try Magician software to Maximum Capacity (which disables hibernation mode) it did not fix.

I will try to dissable hibernation in the BIOS next.
Thanks STB

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:04 pm

By any chance did you recently install or update the magician software? Do you need that software? What happens if you un-install it? Will the PC sleep correctly then?

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:48 pm

I just deleted the Magician SW this was'nt the solution PC will still wakes. the DOS cmd powercfg lastwake pointed the finger at Magician.

Strangely enought I recently have aquired the same problem you have w/ you'r primary record TV drive making duplicates of the same TV recordinging which is a little irratating.

first I left my primary record drive connected (w/ 120V AC power) then switched logicalley the new record TV drive result was no more duplicate recordings however the sleep issuse is'nt resolved.

I have since dissconnected the 120V AC power to the dissconnected primary record drive and now the PC will sleep however I hav'nt thoughly tested it w/ a recorded TV program then wait till I see if it sleeps on it's own (I'm in the process of testing that and will report back.
STB

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Still have the sleep issue

Note when I attempt to delete the test recordings I’m unable to

Here’s the message
This recording has been moved or deleted by another application or is marked read only
And can not be deleted.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Now that magician software is uninstalled did you try the last wake from CMD prompt to see what woke it the last time? Sleep the PC, when it wakes run the last wake again and see what pops up for the reason it woke again.
Wonder if there is more than one thing waking the pc.. do you have any keyboards or mice connected that may wake the PC? Any other external peripherals? I have a Lenovo N5902 and if I leave it on and anyone picks it up and swipes across the mouse area it wakes the pc.. Possibly low batteries in a wireless keyboard or Remote Control could also be causing a wake..??
Have you installed any new programs as of late that may have contributed to this issue? Think back to when the issue started and see if there were any new installations/updates etc..
Additionally I use this to help with sleep issues.. It has always worked wonders for me helping sleep my PC when it should be.
http://slicksolutions.eu/downloads.shtml
The MCE Standby Tool works great for me.. I use the latest BETA for WIndows 7.
But even with this.. if something is triggering a wake command we need to determine what that might be. Try the last wake again and see if you get a different result now that the software is uninstalled.
newfiend~

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:33 pm

I have that same issue trying to delete one of the "duplicate" recordings in Recorded TV (it's basically two thumbs for one file. One thumb points to the same REC TV file on Drive #1 and one thumb points to the same file on Drive #2 that is now no longer there and has been moved back to Drive #1. Since it is no longer on Drive #2 it tells you it no longer exists and can't be deleted).
I moved my Recorded TV Directory back to the "temp" drive and now I only have one thumb for each recording and am able to delete the files without errors and no more duplicate thumbs.
My Recorded TV drive is having issues and is giving me NTFS errors in Event Viewer. I think the drive is starting to wear out it's 5 years old now. I just warrantied it through WD today it's a WD Black drive with a 5 year warranty and I had 30 days left on the warranty.. *lucky me*.
Anyway my point is I haven't tried moving the Recorded TV location back to the original drive as I am currently in the process of RMA'ing it back to WD.
Once the drive returns I will reinstall it and move the Recorded TV location back to it and then edit the Registry locations they provided me in my thread I started about Duplicate Thumbs and see if that works. I hope it does. If you happen to try editing the registry prior to me please let me know if it works or doesn't work for you. I am hoping it does after deleting the "temp" location I created on the other drive from the registry. *a word of caution.. Back up your registry prior to making any changes!*
newfiend~

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:27 pm

newfiend wrote:Now that magician software is uninstalled did you try the last wake from CMD prompt to see what woke it the last time? Sleep the PC, when it wakes run the last wake again and see what pops up for the reason it woke again.
Wonder if there is more than one thing waking the PC.. do you have any keyboards or mice connected that may wake the PC? Any other external peripherals? I have a Lenovo N5902 and if I leave it on and anyone picks it up and swipes across the mouse area it wakes the PC.. Possibly low batteries in a wireless keyboard or Remote Control could also be causing a wake..??
Have you installed any new programs as of late that may have contributed to this issue? Think back to when the issue started and see if there were any new installations/updates etc..
Additionally I use this to help with sleep issues.. It has always worked wonders for me helping sleep my PC when it should be.
But even with this.. if something is triggering a wake command we need to determine what that might be. Try the last wake again and see if you get a different result now that the software is uninstalled.
newfiend~
Sorry I should have but did’nt do the last wake cmd after removing
The Magician SW will do later and report back,

I guess I had made my mind up that it was HDD related.

When I got my first optical mouse about 5 years ago it caused my
Lap top to constantly wake so I got into the habit of turning the mouse off.

How did you do this “I moved my Recorded TV Directory back to the "temp" drive

Did you just reassign in W7MC the black WD as the storage drive?

edit I hav'nt had to use a third party SW like the The MCE Standby Tool yet and hopefully won't need to.

edit2: I looked in the BIOS for hibernation could'nt find it.

doe's W7 BIOS refer to hibernation as
deep power off mode?

it's currently set to enabled.
Thanks STB

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:19 pm

update good news since I removed the Magician SW from Samsung SSD the PC will in fact sleep and stay asleep maybe the PC needed to be rebooted sevral times instead of just once after removing SW.

bad news I reinstalled the problem drive the one which is duplicating recorded programs and it's still duplicating. I did a scan check on this drive and it has no errors and is ready for use.

must be a setting in W7MC.

I subscribed to you'r other thread waiting for a response about the Assuies suggestion to fix the duplicate issue.

meanwhile I'll just use explorer which is'nt duplicated for my daily recordings to pick a thumbnail.

edit. do you usalley close W7MC and go to desktop before putting PC to sleep? it seans easier for me to close W7MC before setting sleep.
Thanks STB

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:06 pm

The Samsung Magician software sets itself to autostart when installed. When running it prevents the PC from sleeping (figured this out myself a while back with my 3 Samsung 840 EVO SSDs). Just delete the shortcut it places in the startup folder and it won't autostart anymore. You can then leave the software installed to update your SSD firmware, run TRIM on command, enable RAPID mode and whatever else you might need it for.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:59 am

Please make sure that your PC does not have any caffeine before bedtime. Also, make sure to feed it plenty of "brain" food.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:18 pm

stevethebrain wrote:
newfiend wrote:Now that magician software is uninstalled did you try the last wake from CMD prompt to see what woke it the last time? Sleep the PC, when it wakes run the last wake again and see what pops up for the reason it woke again.
Wonder if there is more than one thing waking the PC.. do you have any keyboards or mice connected that may wake the PC? Any other external peripherals? I have a Lenovo N5902 and if I leave it on and anyone picks it up and swipes across the mouse area it wakes the PC.. Possibly low batteries in a wireless keyboard or Remote Control could also be causing a wake..??
newfiend~
Sorry I should have but did’nt do the last wake cmd after removing
The Magician SW will do later and report back,

I guess I had made my mind up that it was HDD related.

When I got my first optical mouse about 5 years ago it caused my
Lap top to constantly wake so I got into the habit of turning the mouse off.

How did you do this “I moved my Recorded TV Directory back to the "temp" drive

Did you just reassign in W7MC the black WD as the storage drive?

edit I hav'nt had to use a third party SW like the The MCE Standby Tool yet and hopefully won't need to.

edit2: I looked in the BIOS for hibernation could'nt find it.

doe's W7 BIOS refer to hibernation as
deep power off mode?

it's currently set to enabled.
Thanks STB
I Just reinstalled the new HDD yesterday. After installation and setup in Windows I opened WMC>Tasks Settings>TV>Recorder>Recorder Storage and changed the Record on drive: to my desired drive and clicked on SAVE. I then went back one screen to Recorder and selected Media Libraries> Remove folders from the Library> Next> uncheck the old Recorded TV location> next> Yes, use these locations> Finish.
Back out and exit WMC. Reboot the PC.
When my pc rebooted I opened the old Recorded TV Folder and copied Only the Recorded TV Shows to the new Recorded TV Location. Once that was done I then deleted the old Recorded TV Folder. (if you find it won't delete try rebooting again then delete the old folder).
Since I did this method my Recorded TV folder now only displays one thumbnail for each show.
You could also reinstall the Magician Software and then delete the shortcut it places in the startup folder and see if your PC will then sleep correctly and still allow you to use the Magician software when needed.

If you find this doesn't help post back and I'll do a detailed explanation on how to edit your registry to remove the other recording location and we'll see if that fixes your duplicate thumbs.
newfiend~