WMC 8 dropping video on some channels

malacoda

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 8 dropping video on some channels

Post by malacoda » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm

I recently started having an issue with some of my Comcast channels dropping video after a few seconds on the channel or dropping video during the commercials and resuming with the show to blink on and off while the show is on. Sometimes its a few seconds of video then 30-45 seconds of black then video, other times its even longer. During the problem the HDMI signal from the AVR to the TV totally stops to the point where the TV says no signal. Sometimes the image returns for a few seconds then drops again or it may come back once the commercials are over. This seems to affect AMCHD, LifetimeHD, TNTHD, USAHD but not the big one like ABC, CBS, NBC. During the flicker process if I stop the live TV feed it instantly shows the WMC interface with no problems. The audio is always working and never stops or stutters.

I have an nvidia 650TI boost with the latest drives installed. It is HDMI to my receiver (Denon 2112CI) and that's HDMI to the TV (LG 50PK950). I reinstalled the latest drivers, turned off all the nvidia processing ran the WMC cable and monitor wizards again. Updated the software/firmware on my HDPrime to the latest version. Recorded shows are playing back fine so far. (Going to run HDMI direct to the TV tonight for further testing)

I can play media with MPC-HP with no issues. I installed NextPVR and set up XBMC to use it. This setup has no issues with the problem channels so I know its a WMC issue but Im not sure what else to look at. I tried different HDMI ports on the receiver and TV to no avail. The receiver is set to HDMI passthru so while its off it still sees the htpc as an active connection

Any ideas of where to look? I dont think its the 24/59 issue as ive never seen a problem with it in the past. the nvidia control panel sees my card and TV as HDCP compliant. When I start the tv/receiver they always handshake when show the WMC screen with no issues. I only have the problem on some channels and it goes away soon as I stop the live tv feed in WMC

malacoda

Post by malacoda » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:13 pm

I think I fixed my problem. I decided to totally wipe the nvidia drivers and redo the latest version as a clean install under the custom option. I reset everything including under content type reported to the display --full-screen video. rebooted the PC and tested a few channels with the issue. so far so good. I assume it was a bad driver install. I had checked the content type to make sure it wasnt auto and disabled all the nvidia processing.

probably should have done that last night but sometimes its difficult to troubleshoot with the wife glaring at me. she just wants the strange black box to work

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:13 am

I feel your pain about the WAF and wanting it to just work. My Video card and HDD have both recently developed issues and I am having issues with my HDMI connection as well. Had to warranty the video card in my case as I get audio popping through my speakers and HDCP errors on tv channels that I should have no issues with. I have a GTX 560 Ti EVGA card. It was pretty solid up until about a month ago and it suddenly went south.. Hoping the replacement card fixes my issues and my wife can relax again. She hates it when the "strange black box" doesn't work..