Infinitv 6 ETH With More than 2 PC's

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
TeddyR

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by TeddyR » Thu May 08, 2014 3:37 pm

seangrimes wrote:For anyone who wants to know, my firmware versions are:

infinitv 6 eth: 13.9.24.118
Motorola Tuning Adapter: 1.37
Motorola Cable Card: 6.25

I'm not 100% on this , but I heard on another forum that Cable Cards with firmaware versions with lesser values than the ones listed above may have issues with 6 tuner support.

I also noticed that at least 2 of my PC's may be limited as far as networking speed goes, but from I see, 12 MB/s is about average for streaming HD video if I'm correct and I think they are more than capable of handling that.
Fir the ITV6 firmware, there is a beta firmware (14.4.6.21) that can be downloaded from this thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=7281. The firmware file must be applied using the web interface.

As for the networking speed, if not already done so, be sure to disable Green Ethernet/EEE and download the latest driver from the chipset manufacturer and not from the MB driver list. Many drivers that are released as part of the board driver set or windows update are not the best for WMC. If you have ANY third party AV/FW, remove it completely and use Windows Security Essentials/Defender. Any other AV/FW would be too much trouble with known issues for network tuners.
Time is on my side.

seangrimes

Post by seangrimes » Sat May 10, 2014 5:54 am

TeddyR wrote:As for the networking speed, if not already done so, be sure to disable Green Ethernet/EEE and download the latest driver from the chipset manufacturer and not from the MB driver list. Many drivers that are released as part of the board driver set or windows update are not the best for WMC. If you have ANY third party AV/FW, remove it completely and use Windows Security Essentials/Defender. Any other AV/FW would be too much trouble with known issues for network tuners.
Thanks. I haven't updated to the newest firmware yet, but my system has been working fine for the past few days. On average, channel changes take 5-10 seconds. Sometimes longer and sometimes even less, but I think that has more to do with Playready or my TA. I stopped using tuner pooling altogether because I think that was my main issue. I did get a new TA and Cablecard so that may have played a part in fixing my issues too.

I have an infinitv 6 PCIe that should be here this afternoon. I'm going to assign all its the tuners to my Server PC that my 3 Xbox extenders are tied to. I'm then going to assign 2 tuners to each of my other 3 PC's using my Infinitv 6 eth. I that should work out fine.
"Power is the ability to define reality and then to convince others that it is their definition."

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun May 11, 2014 3:34 am

luisc202 wrote:
erkotz wrote:There is a cut-off of the number of simultaneous WM-DRM pairings the InfiniTV can perform, but it's significantly higher than 2. I've used it with several PCs without issue.
Eric,

I am facing the same issue the OP is posting. I have pretty new PC's with 3rd and 4th gen Intel's with 8gb of ram and Samsung 840 Pro SSD's with Windows 7 64 and 2 with Windows 8 64 bit and cannot run more than 2 PC's without seriously slow channel tuning.

is anyone else able to use the Ceton initv ETH with more than 2 PC's successfully with normal operation of speeds?
Please define what you consider "normal operation speeds". In my experience, the InfiniTV4-PCIe took 4-20 seconds to tune a channel, even if it wasn't shared with any other PC's. When I switched to the Silicondust HD HomeRun PRIME, my tuning speeds improved significantly... with the slowest channels being less than 2 seconds.

Are you seeing something worse than what I saw with the InfiniTV tuner?

seangrimes

Post by seangrimes » Mon May 12, 2014 10:30 am

barnabas1969 wrote: Please define what you consider "normal operation speeds". In my experience, the InfiniTV4-PCIe took 4-20 seconds to tune a channel, even if it wasn't shared with any other PC's. When I switched to the Silicondust HD HomeRun PRIME, my tuning speeds improved significantly... with the slowest channels being less than 2 seconds.

Are you seeing something worse than what I saw with the InfiniTV tuner?
I just purchased the Infinitv6 PCIe as well as having the Infinitv 6 eth and this is what I've found. On the Infinitv6 PCIe, I get very fast channel changes that average about 2-3 seconds. With the Infinitv 6 eth, I get inconsistent channel changes that vary from 3-20 or more seconds. Although things have been very pleasant with my Infinitv 6 eth lately, I still get an occasional long channel change followed by a "service not available" message right before the channel actually changes. On average though, I'd have to say that channel changes on the Infinitv 6 eth take about 5-10 seconds. I think that my previous issues with the Infinitv 6 eth had to do more with my cablecard/tuning adapter (I've replaced both), trying to use the tuner pooling feature, cable signal strength and Playready issues.

My Infinitv 6 eth is running an updated firmware, but I haven't updated the firmware on my Infinitv6 PCIe at all.

My advice is to not use the tuner pooling feature at all on the Infinitv 6 eth. If you have more than 1 PC that connects to your Infinitv 6 eth, follow this procedure if you ever run into problems:
1. Unplug TA and Infinitv 6 eth
2. Go to ALL PC's and reset the tuner configuration using the Ceton utility. Make sure you do this on ALL PC's before going to next step!!!
3. Plug TA and Infinitv 6 eth back in
4. Go to any PC and rediscover tuners using the Ceton utility.
5. Open WMC, re install Digital Cable Advisor and go through live TV setup. Test that Live TV works, but stop Live TV playback IF you have to setup Livetv on more PC's.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 for each other PC you plan on using to connect to your Infinitv 6 eth
"Power is the ability to define reality and then to convince others that it is their definition."

luisc202

Post by luisc202 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Here is my update. I stopped using tuner pooling and assigned 3 tuners to my Main TV and 2 tuners to my Master Room pc and the last one to the Game Room pc. I can say this improved the issues I was seeing and am now able to tune 3 pc's at the same time. Now my channel changes seem pretty quick occasionally.

I also have a new PCIE6 whicxh I will install and dedicate to my Main TV as that is where my PCIE4 was at before I ventured into changing my setup since I had upgraded all my PC's to Windows 8.1. That is where ALL my issues came from I would say. Since then I reimaged 2 pcs to use Windows 7 64 and the Tuner likes it a lot better. I do not know the difference with MCE from win7 and Win8.1 but man it is a big difference on how the Ceton handles both Operating Systems.

I will update later as I also am installing a new splitter to have both cards at the same level.

seangrimes

Post by seangrimes » Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 am

luisc202 wrote: Since then I reimaged 2 pcs to use Windows 7 64 and the Tuner likes it a lot better. I do not know the difference with MCE from win7 and Win8.1 but man it is a big difference on how the Ceton handles both Operating Systems.
I too used to think this, but since I have my issues all ironed out, I don't see a difference in performance between my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PC's.

fleanote

Post by fleanote » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:54 pm

I use the ETH6 on 5 PC's (soon to be 6). My slow channel changes were resolved by putting a booster in front of the ETH6, now it not only stopped dropping tuner assignments, my channel changes are less than 2 seconds.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:06 am

Got a link, model, and p/n for said booster for reference?