MKV + LAV + VSFilter + Xbox360 + Ceton = Weak TV Signal?

JackLuminous

HTPC Specs: Show details

MKV + LAV + VSFilter + Xbox360 + Ceton = Weak TV Signal?

Post by JackLuminous » Sat May 31, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi, Guys,

I just moved to Windows 8.1 this afternoon but I am running into a problem and wanted see if anyone has experienced the same.

Setup:
-Intel Core 2 Duo with 6GB RAM, SSD, and 1TB HDD for Recorder Storage
-Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center x64
-Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI
-LAV Filter, VSFilter for MKV playback
-2 x Xbox 360

I have no other codec packs or any other software that would jack up TV watching and I can watch live tv on the WMC and the Xbox MCX all at the same time without any problems. All of my MKV-based media plays on the WMC HTPC fine.

Problem:
After setting up 2 Xbox 360, I tried playing one of the MKV files on one of the Xboxs. It took a fair bit of time to start. Right before the MKV started playing on the Xbox, the live tv on the WMC HTPC stopped with the following message: "weak tv signal." I went downstairs, and ran the Ceton diagnostics. The card was detected immediately and no problems reported there. I noticed that there was over 76% - 85% CPU utilization with the majority of that utilization coming from Media Foundation Pipeline or something like that.
I went back upstairs to check on the Xbox and the MKV video was playing. I rebooted the HTPC and reproduced the problem with the MKV. I then tried the same thing again but using a 1G+ MP4 video. I did not see the same problem; Xbox MCX played the video while the WMC was watching live tv ok.

Somehow, it seems that when processing the MKV from the Xbox, something goes pear-shaped.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem or can shed some light on it?

Many thanks,
Jack

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat May 31, 2014 11:18 pm

JackLuminous wrote:I just moved to Windows 8.1 this afternoon
Mistake #1
JackLuminous wrote:Intel Core 2 Duo
Mistake #2
JackLuminous wrote:LAV Filter
Mistake #3

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:09 am

I appreciate the response but the snark isn't helpful at all, is it?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:11 am

Hey Jack, I'm guessing the MKV was housed on the recording drive as well? The buffer for live TV would be kept there too; that's seems to be the only link between the two at first glance. Run CrystalDiskInfo (you can find portable versions online) to make sure the drive is healthy. That's just the first thing that popped into my head with what you described. Also is the drive 7200rpm or 5400rpm? I don't think that could be an issue, but you never know.

Barnabas, be nice :D

Edit: I would disable LAV filter though just for process of elimination as well.

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:33 am

No the MKV was housed on a WHS 2011 share. I had removed lav filter but didn't install another option for playing MKV.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:42 am

Do you need codecs for the streams contained in the mkv? If not (like it's h.264 video and ac3 or aac audio in the mkv), just install haali mkv splitter alone and it should play. If the contained streams aren't supported by Windows natively, you'll need to either try an older or newer version of lav for testing; or a lav alternative altogether.

Edit: I don't use any codecs as all my ripped files are h.264 and aac; so someone else will have to suggest alternatives for lav if need be.

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:05 am

The content are my own Dvds ripped using handbrake. h.264 video ac3 5.1 audio (in some cases.) I went with LAV because it enabled everything on my WMC to play without any problems.
Under WIndows8, does MKV get transcoded no matter what? If it's getting transcoded than that would explain the stupid CPU hogging via "Media Foundation Protected Pipeline EXE"

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:22 am

That I couldn't tell you, I encode to m4v format :silent: The only time I play mkv now is for an episode of game of thrones or something, and then it's deleted. When I do play them though on the 360, they playback fine from my celeron j1900. :eh:

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:41 am

Ok I had to go back to the darkish side and install Shark 007 codecs. I have used this pack briefly in the past on Windows 7 but later switched to the simpler arrangement of LAV Filter + VSFilter. Although the Shark007 codecs worked back then, I didn't care for the browser hijack stuff that was included nor the myriad number of ways it allowed you to hang yourself. That being said, I tried them again just now on Windows 8 and everything worked as expected on the WMC and on the Xbox MCX. I could play 1 MKV each (h264, 5.1 AC3) on my 2 Xboxes while watching live TV on the Ceton InfiniTV. With Shark007 I tried to skip or decline the bundled crapware as best I could. Also, I only checked the Suggested Settings checkbox.

Now that this is working on the Xbox, I can see the details behind Barnabas' snark. Firstly, the weak signal was most likely due to the high CPU utilization caused by Windows having to transcode the MKV content. If I had a more powerful CPU then maybe the InfinitTV might not have been disrupted during live tv playback. Secondly, only the Divx Media Foundation MKV splitter seemed to allow MKV to be played on the Xbox without transcoding. When this happened, the CPU utilization was lower, thereby allowing the InfinitTV to play live tv. The LAV filters, being DirectShow only, didn't do anything for the transcoding.

In summary, I wish I did not have to go the shark route but I cannot deny that it works as advertised. The best approach would be to have the ability to use LAV filters for the WMC and use the Divx Media Foundation splitter only for the MCX --all without the need for a codec pack.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:16 am

Yeah, when I used to play 1:1 br rips on my HTPC, sharks pack was the only way I could (figure out at least) get pgs subtitles working. I'm a fan of not needing anything though. If you're careful during install it should be good. Glad you got it sorted :)

JackLuminous

Post by JackLuminous » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks,man. If only MS would get off their high horse and support mkv natively. In the grand scheme of things it is a minor thing but it would go a long way, i think, to give them a little more rep. The critique that mkv is pirate format of choice is rubbish since there's stuff out there in MP4 just the same. Does anyone other than Amazon and Netflix use wmv?

curtis

Post by curtis » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:44 pm

Everything you have can work fine, except for the 360 element.. Sadly the Xbox 360 has never been a good way to play ripped movie content. Of course there are ways you can make DVD play w/o too much issue but not really any BR content. If you want it in other rooms, it is really better to get a Roku type device for movies where you aren't going to have a HTPC unless you want to spend a lot of time fighting to make your content and HTPC conform to work with the 360. And for a PC, LAV filters and VS filter (for subs, if you include them in the MKV) is really all you need now for most any content in MKV, especially if it just your DVD's and BR's (w/audio left intact or converted to MKV). Shark 007 is overkill in general now.

However, all this shouldn't affect the TV signal issue. It is possible it was weak or there was/is an issue with the Ceton setup.