Speed & Duplex setting effects WOL

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
pduncan1963

HTPC Specs: Show details

Speed & Duplex setting effects WOL

Post by pduncan1963 » Thu May 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Have kind of a strange issue. I had my HTPC set to sleep when not actively being used by WMC with everything working fine concerning the Sleep and Wake on Magic Packet. All XBOX and Ceton extender would wake the computer fine.

As recommended in this and other sites, to improve the performance of the extenders I changed the Speed & Duplex on the network card from Auto to 1 GB Full. This improved the reaction time on the extenders in a dramatic way, but it seems that in this setting, the network card will not process the Magic Packets it is receiving. None of the extenders will wake the computer, nor can I wake it with Magic packets from a remote computer. The computer sleeps as it should but the only way to wake it up is with a keyboard connected or push of the power button. If I change the Speed setting back to Auto, I can once again wake the computer with extenders.

I have an Intel CT PCi-e gigabyte network card with the latest drivers. Has anyone else seen this and is there a work around? At the moment, I leave the computer on 24/7 with “away” mode enabled, but would like to sleep the computer if I can.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 23, 2014 1:42 pm

I've never heard of this before. Try looking in BIOS to see if there is a setting which might help.

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:19 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I've never heard of this before. Try looking in BIOS to see if there is a setting which might help.
I did. There is no Wake on Lan settings in the BIOS. It is completely controlled by the OS.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri May 23, 2014 8:45 pm

My guess is WOL gets sent from your other devices at less than 1 gig, hence isn't seen when you have the card forced to only work at that rate. So you may have to just stick with Auto. Is their an option to enable a couple of rates at the same time? That might be a good compromise.

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:00 pm

mdavej wrote:My guess is WOL gets sent from your other devices at less than 1 gig, hence isn't seen when you have the card forced to only work at that rate. So you may have to just stick with Auto. Is their an option to enable a couple of rates at the same time? That might be a good compromise.
Good call "mdave". I change it to 100meg full and that allowed the extenders to wake the HTPC and all responded well at this setting.