WMC trying to record old movie

rldev

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC trying to record old movie

Post by rldev » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:19 pm

I have a strange problem. Many months ago I tried to record Skyfall on Epix. However I do not have that channel. No big deal right? Well every once in a while, I get errors on the screen that pop up that WMC can't record Skyfall. Months later these pop up occasionally. I dug into my scheduled recordings and could not find it. How can I get rid of this? It is obviously is some database.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Disable the channel in your guide.

Go to the guide. Move left until the channel number is highlighted. Press OK. Disable.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:42 am

WMC remembers failed recordings and will continue to attempt to record Skyfall until it is successful. The solution posted by barnabas will prevent WMC from recording Skyfall on Epix, but will not prevent WMC from attempting to record Skyfall on other channels. So if Skyfall is airing on a different channel that you don't receive, and that channel is enabled in your guide, you'll still get an error. Your best bet is to remove all channels that you don't receive from your guide. Why you haven't already done that is beyond me.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 am

regardless of all of that, it should be in his list of things to be recorded--but it's not.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu May 01, 2014 11:40 am

Only if there is an airing in the EPG. If Skyfall isn't anywhere in the EPG, it won't be in the scheduled recordings list.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu May 01, 2014 1:26 pm

richard1980 wrote:WMC remembers failed recordings and will continue to attempt to record Skyfall until it is successful. The solution posted by barnabas will prevent WMC from recording Skyfall on Epix, but will not prevent WMC from attempting to record Skyfall on other channels. So if Skyfall is airing on a different channel that you don't receive, and that channel is enabled in your guide, you'll still get an error. Your best bet is to remove all channels that you don't receive from your guide. Why you haven't already done that is beyond me.
Nice to have them available for free preview weekends etc... :)

webminster

Post by webminster » Thu May 01, 2014 2:06 pm

From what you said in the original post, I assume you've looked through the "series" list and verified it or something that would match isn't listed there either?
-Alan

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:29 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
richard1980 wrote:WMC remembers failed recordings and will continue to attempt to record Skyfall until it is successful. The solution posted by barnabas will prevent WMC from recording Skyfall on Epix, but will not prevent WMC from attempting to record Skyfall on other channels. So if Skyfall is airing on a different channel that you don't receive, and that channel is enabled in your guide, you'll still get an error. Your best bet is to remove all channels that you don't receive from your guide. Why you haven't already done that is beyond me.
Nice to have them available for free preview weekends etc... :)
Richard gave good advice. When you get a free preview, you can always enable those channels again. It's very easy to do, especially if you install Guide Tool.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu May 01, 2014 5:01 pm

richard1980 wrote:Only if there is an airing in the EPG. If Skyfall isn't anywhere in the EPG, it won't be in the scheduled recordings list.
I believe if you sort recordings by title instead of date, you will see movies that you schedule to record the next time they are on even if they are not in the EPG.

For example when I view a movie's information, under 'similar movies' I can pick another movie to record the next time it's on, even if it's not in the guide. My scheduled recordings has quite a few of those movies, not in the guide but still on the list for recording.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:38 pm

And as soon as WMC attempts to record whatever movie you schedule, it will disappear from the scheduled recordings list. If the recording fails, it will not re-appear in the scheduled recordings list until it appears in the EPG.

And for clarification, when you schedule something that isn't in the EPG, it doesn't show up in the scheduled recordings list. It shows up in the series list.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I agree with Richard, and I like the feature. Disabling the channels to which you don't subscribe is the best way to go. It will clean up your guide, and eliminate many potential problems and errors. If you get a free trial of a certain channel, you can always re-enable them for that period of time (if you even care to watch them).

The reason the cable-company-supplied DVR's don't give you a way to disable channels is because the cableco wants you to see what you're missing, in hopes that you'll subscribe to those channels too.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Settings/Tv/EditChannels/Preview

I use a keyboard to edit the channels. Spacebar to remove the checkmarks, DownArrow to go to next channel. Takes some time though, wish there was an easier way. I usually downgrade my service for the summer so editing channels is one of my spring cleaning chores. Don't forget to click Save when you are done with your editing session.

Why does Comcast send me 300 channels that I am not subscribed to?

Anyone know if I could just backup the list and restore, rather than zapping 300 channels every spring?
Attachments
EditChannels001.jpg

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri May 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Anyone know if I could just backup the list and restore, rather than zapping 300 channels every spring?

I would go with Barnabas's suggestion and use the 'Guide Tool' program. I googled it and it looks like what you want. I personally leave them in because I get lazy and find the free-b's by looking at them each weekend opposed to checking online.

EDIT: I do not know if you can back it up, but it looks like it would make the process much easier.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 pm

The donators version of Guide Tool has a backup/restore feature. Other tools can do it too.