Recorded TV not included in system image?

seajunk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded TV not included in system image?

Post by seajunk » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:53 pm

I had the opportunity to upgrade from widows 8.0 to 8.1 this weekend so took a system image first using the stock windows command.
The upgrade was a disaster for various reasons so I restored the 8.0 image back to the drive.
To my horror, Recorded TV was empty on disk and in the system image. There is an entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot which i presume is the cause...
I'll try to get some of my recordings back from an earlier file backup and hope the drm keys line up.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:03 am

Recorded TV files are excluded from snapshots as well, which is probably the technique used to create the default backups. It's the kind of thing you don't discover until you wish you hadn't had to discover it.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:38 am

Are you storing the recordings on the same partition as the OS? If so, try segregating the data on your system. That way when you create/restore images of the OS partition, it doesn't interfere with your recordings or other segregated files.

seajunk

Post by seajunk » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:21 pm

Fortunately i was able to get the important recordings back from that earlier file backup.
I only have one disk/partition. I used to wonder why people kept multiple partitions but now i can see the value. Thanks for the comments.