Watch Movies in external player for 24p and subtitles??

bennynihon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Watch Movies in external player for 24p and subtitles??

Post by bennynihon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:46 pm

I have many movies in MKV format that are 24 fps. I want to be able to watch them on my projector at a 24 Hz refresh rate, to avoid the telecine judder. I can do this no problem using MPC-HC or within XBMC which has 24p support. I'd prefer to use Windows Media Center since I already use it a lot for Live TV. So it seems the best solution would be to have it launch Movies and Videos in an external video player such as MPC-HC and return on exit. I've tried using mikinho's "Open With" without success. I'm curious what others are doing for 24p content. I was surprised when using the search that there weren't any discussions about this, considering I figured most videophiles would want judder free movie playback. Thanks!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:17 pm

All indications are WMC switches to 24p automatically, if your video card supports it. See this post and the few that follow for the relevant settings:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1518493/first ... t_24558017

The only difference is the OP wanted to disable 24p, and you want to enable it. Mine has never switched because I don't have 24p resolution enabled in my video card settings. I could if I wanted, but opted for simplicity since I rarely ever play any 24p content on my PC.

bennynihon

Post by bennynihon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:25 pm

that would be great if it did, but that's not the case. in fact someone created a plugin that allows you to manually switch refresh rates, but it's kludgey at best since it has to close and re-open windows media center not to mention the fact that I'd have to manually do so before starting a movie. pretty much all full length films are shot in 24 frames per second, so I'm genuinely surprised more people wouldn't have looked for a solution to this. My search continues :D

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:20 pm

I don't know if Media Center switches to 24fps or not. Maybe all the MKV's I have are in 59.997/60 fps? If it was switching to 24, my TV would display that in the upper left corner for a couple of seconds after the switch. But I've never noticed any judder in MKV's.

You could use Arcsoft Total Media Theatre to play your MKV's. It can definitely switch frame rates, at least it does on Blu-ray movies. And it integrates well into Media Center.