Recorded TV HD Addin

choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by choliscott » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:35 pm

Have you contacted RTVHD support? To my understanding there is a file that needs to installed, etc
Rishicash wrote:RTVHD is not fully compatible with any version of W8. I can't even use it anymore.

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:57 am

RTVHD works fine with Windows 8 and 8.1 been using it for a while. It works great.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Consideirng trying this out. A couple quick questions if you will. First, does this add in only detect WTV format? Only WTVs show up in the WMC recordings. So if I were to use MCEbuddy to convert to MP4, would this show up in Recorded TV HD or would it still be like WMC and not detect it? 2nd, is this still mapped to the recorded tv button on WMC remotes? Thanks!

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:41 am

It does work with Mp4 files. You just have to have the file Name be something like "South Park - S1E1.mp4" or "South Park - S01E01.Mp4"
christoph86 wrote:Consideirng trying this out. A couple quick questions if you will. First, does this add in only detect WTV format? Only WTVs show up in the WMC recordings. So if I were to use MCEbuddy to convert to MP4, would this show up in Recorded TV HD or would it still be like WMC and not detect it? 2nd, is this still mapped to the recorded tv button on WMC remotes? Thanks!

mrphil

Post by mrphil » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 pm

I've just downloaded this to trial it, seems pretty good so far. A couple of observations, it's only been installed for about 2 hours and I've seen the "addin is not responding" message in WMC twice on a dma2100 extender before being dumped back at the main WMC menu. I've not yet used the main htpc enough to establish if the same is happening on there.

The other thing is the selection of the sort options doesn't seem to be retained. In the original recorded tv area I leave it set to sort by date recorded, I seem to have to do this every time I go into RTVHD as it randomly selects other options on entry, like original air date, or title. This is a deal breaker for me as it's really annoying. My current thoughts are it's worth paying for if I can find a way to fix this issue and make it retain the sort setting I want.

Overall though, it looks great and is a massive improvement on the original interface. I'm surprised Microsoft haven't bought out the add-in from the author and shut it down! :D

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:46 pm

mrphil,

Sorry for the late reply. Try turning off the commercial skip display that has been discussed earlier in this thread. It is turned on by default and causes the app to be unstable.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:17 am

After singing it praises, RTVHD has crapped out with no explanation. There have been no changes to the system. I've posted in the RTVHD forum, and tried deleting the database, and searched. I have an unresolved issue and a question.

Issue: Images are gone. Deleting the Db did nothing. I've restored every image manually, only to have it all blank out again a week later.
There are images stored in a directory that looks just like the one on the C:\, but it's located where I have the bookmarks option pointing (this is actually where I want it).
There are images stored in the C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Images\ location as well (i would prefer it not exist here). This location has the correct images for some shows, secondary images of the wrong series (with the same name) for some shows, and black posters with just the white letter name of the show for a bunch of others.

What is going on? This seems related to the guide change, as individual shows started going out randomly shortly after. Can I force the program to go out to TVDB and redownload images in a time frame shorter than monthly?

Question: Two part - Does setting the bookmarks to another drive, send the Db there as well? If not, can we point the Db to another location?

Bottom line, I just want auto image population back.

Code: Select all

[Settings]
DownloadBackdrops=True
DownloadPosters=True
DownloadThumbnails=True
DownloadNewArtworkEveryMonth=True
UpdateCheck=True
Color=Black
ShowWatchedIndicators=True
HideMovies=True
NumberOfPosterRows=1
View=poster view

misterpunn

Post by misterpunn » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:31 pm

I purchased a license on Saturday and I still haven't received a product key. I e-mailed them today asking about it, but does anyone know if I should start thinking about having PayPal reverse the charge?

misterpunn

Post by misterpunn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 pm

I just got an e-mail back with the key, so all is good!

Ylinen

Post by Ylinen » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:06 pm

I just installed this add-on. It is a nice one. Wish we had more development going on with WMC.

A couple of things I have noticed.

1. Getting to the settings mode in the WMC version is very hard. The Wrench at the bottom right of the screen puts it right with the play controls. Using the remote arrows does not allow me to get to it. Keep selecting down or right does not highlight it.

2. I record a lot of Fox News shows. Those shows do not show up in the TVIMDB database. So the tiles are blank. I wonder if it would be possible to use the video picture file like the old Recorded TV module created for shows that do not have an TVIMDB number.

Thanks for all the development of this add-in.

clrhodes

Post by clrhodes » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:00 pm

I couldn't get it to work in WMC on Win 10, any suggestions?

lachape_one

Post by lachape_one » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:34 pm

Salut,

Good news: Recorded TV HD is now free :) installed it on both W10 Anniversary update (WMC v8.8.1) and W7 and works fine :clap:

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:05 pm

awesome, installed no issues windows 10

Space

Post by Space » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 pm

This is some good news...

But few thing make me more nervous than installing addins (or anything for that matter) on my WMC box...

But this one I may try... maybe... if I can handle it... :-)

How stable is this addin? (I'm asking those who have used it for a while)

Is it easy to backout/uninstall if there are problems?

I surely will make an image backup before installing (if I ever get up the nerve to install it in the first place).

This is the one addin that I've been tempted to try but have always shied away from due to not wanting to break anything and the potential extra insult of having to pay to do so (if something were to go wrong)... Not that I am saying anything will go wrong, just that with WMC you never know what is going to completely hose up your system...

Another issue I worry about is that now that it is free, is there any support? Or is that the trade-off with making it free (assuming there was still support for it before it was made free)?

I'll have to take another look at it (haven't looked at it in years) and see if it is something that I really want to risk installing, as I have been using WMC for so long with the standard interface, I'm not sure if I really want to deal with a more complicated system.

Thanks for the heads up on this...

billroden

Post by billroden » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:12 pm

I've been using it on win 7 for many years. I would pay for it again if I had to. Not one hiccup while using it.

I highly recommend using it. It makes the interface of your recorded shows awesome

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:21 am

It is great news that this has gone free, perhaps this will attract some new users. This does however also spell the end for active support or any future updates.

I have been a user for several years and it is almost perfect. What I really like is that it provides a single rich interface for both your recorded TV and any media files you want to include. All you have to do is name the file correctly and then RTVHD will retrieve the meta data and include it seamlessly alongside your recordings. Despite the name, it also works great for movies. The Favorites feature allows you to setup a personal screen for individual family members if you wish.

It does have a couple of issues, but nothing that puts me off using it. The addin can sometimes crash but it recovers itself automatically. Occasionally a movie, which was previously detected fine, will go unrecognised and disappear. This is fixable but requires manual intervention.

Perhaps now that it has gone free the source code will be released so that development can continue.

Here is it in action on my HTPC. For me it completely replaces the standard Recorded TV, Movies and Videos.
RTVHD.jpg
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:51 am

I have been using this for a few years & also have replaced the standard Recorded TV menu with this menu. I will point out a few issues that I've had, but don't consider "dead in the water"

1) It's supposed to detect when new recordings or new media is added. For me, it will stop detecting & the "unidentified" list will grow, until I stop & restart the service. To get around this, I have it automatically restart every 4 hours
2) There is a slight delay when you tell it to delete a show, compared to when you delete a show in the regular recorded TV menu, but it's not a huge difference
3) When you tell it to display the "unidentified" list, depending on how much media you have & the file extension, this can take a while to display, along with the message "Please Wait" in large letters, that you cannot move. To me, this is the biggest annoyance of them all.

On a side note, I noticed the front page on the RTVHD website, mentions version 1.9.5. There was a couple of later versions

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/forum/#nabb ... 9|a5709023

This has version 1.9.7, which to my understanding is the latest version. Version 1.9.8 is mainly the RecordedTVSettings.exe file, which allows for manual fixing of "Unidentified Files".

Space wrote:This is some good news...

But few thing make me more nervous than installing addins (or anything for that matter) on my WMC box...

But this one I may try... maybe... if I can handle it... :-)

How stable is this addin? (I'm asking those who have used it for a while)

Is it easy to backout/uninstall if there are problems?

I surely will make an image backup before installing (if I ever get up the nerve to install it in the first place).

This is the one addin that I've been tempted to try but have always shied away from due to not wanting to break anything and the potential extra insult of having to pay to do so (if something were to go wrong)... Not that I am saying anything will go wrong, just that with WMC you never know what is going to completely hose up your system...

Another issue I worry about is that now that it is free, is there any support? Or is that the trade-off with making it free (assuming there was still support for it before it was made free)?

I'll have to take another look at it (haven't looked at it in years) and see if it is something that I really want to risk installing, as I have been using WMC for so long with the standard interface, I'm not sure if I really want to deal with a more complicated system.

Thanks for the heads up on this...

Space

Post by Space » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:28 am

Thanks for the info. Can you list the features you think are the most useful for you and make it a worthwhile install?

I've been looking at the website and some of the forum posts and I am thinking that it is not for me.

Some of the features such as Favorites and being able to separate movies from TV shows are some things I might like, but it looks like it goes way overboard with downloading all kinds of metadata including images (I assume in addition to those already downloaded by WMC itself) that is just something that I have no need for and don't want my PC to use all those extra resource for stuff I don't really need. The less wear and tear on the hard drives and other components the better.

It also looks like it makes it difficult to use things like "Other Showings" (which I use all the time), "Cast + Crew", and doing custom (channel/time & wish list or keyword) records. Also it doesn't show any indicator if a show is going to be deleted due to low disk space and I am not sure if the "To Do" list has indicators if a show won't record due to low disk space.

I think I am just going to pass, I don't even think I am going to install it just to try it in case it messes up my system in some way. Maybe one day when I have some time I'll install it on a cloned drive and test it for a few hours to see if it is something I really want or not.

Thanks again.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:18 pm

It has lots of shiny. I've had it installed for ages and use it every now and then. Do you have a test system you could try it on?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Space

Post by Space » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:33 pm

STC wrote:It has lots of shiny. I've had it installed for ages and use it every now and then. Do you have a test system you could try it on?
Yeah, I could install on a test system I suppose, just need some time to do it.

Shiny stuff is fine, but I don't want to lose functionality. It appears that I can still access the old interface if this is installed, but as I mentioned in my last post, all that extra metadata and processing that it needs to do is something I'd like to avoid, especially if I will only be using the addin rarely.

Also a big concern (if I were to use the addin as the primary interface) is that it is missing some things I find are critical. Not being made aware that shows will not record due to low disk space is a big issue. WMC gives you a 48 hour notice before you will run out of space, and I need that time to either offload to an external drive or watch/delete shows. Also, I use the "Until I watch" setting for purposes other than for what it was originally intended (it means to not run comskip on that series/recording), so if I am low on disk space, these recordings (if I have watched even one second of them) will be deleted to free up space (if needed) and with the addin there is no indicator that will tell me that.

I like that it has season and episode information, but it looks like it does not have a system that tells you when you are missing episodes. I'd like it to have a complete list of all season/episodes for each show and allow me to keep track of episodes I have watched already as well as tell me when I am missing episodes (episode not marked as watched and I don't have a copy of that episode currently, assuming the OAD for that episode has already passed).

I am looking to solve problems, not create more of them, so if it is unstable (movies going missing, crashes, filling up the HD with poster art for shows/movies I no longer have, etc.) then I would just assume forget about it.

I have two ways of watching TV episodes depending on what series they are from:

A) Watch the episode the same week it is broadcast.
B) Record the entire season (or multiple seasons) and then watch each season at a later time.

A problem I have sometimes is that I start watching a series from B but then I get a bunch of episodes from A that take precedence, so I watch them, and by the time I am done with watching all the A episodes, I've forgotten which B series I was watching.

I am thinking that setting up a favorite group that includes all series from A and adding and removing the series I am currently watching from B would be a decent way of keeping track of things. I would just check this favorite group for any episodes and watch them. If the group is empty (I always delete the recording after I have watched it), I know that it is time to add a new series from the B group (and remove the old one).

Marking an episode as "watched" is useless to me (unless it keeps track of this status even then the recording is deleted as mentioned above) since I never retain a recording after I have watched it.

I am the only person who uses my WMC machine, so using favorites to separate shows for multiple people is not something I need.

I will continue to look at it and perhaps set up a system to try it out, but as of now I think I am going to hold off.