PlayReady/Tuner issue

lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

PlayReady/Tuner issue

Post by lucasbuck » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 pm

How often does playready update? I have an issue where, usually after a restart (mainly when the power kicks out), that playready wants to update. After the update my Ceton tuner says that there is no signal detected for any of the channels I tune to. I check the Ceton diagnostic and it shows it's tuned to the channel, shows signal level (2.0 dBmV), etc. but still no go. After awhile (not sure if flipping around channels triggers it, maybe it's a restart or two) it will kick back in and channels will tune in.

Any ideas why, if it's normal, or a way to fix it?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm

I can't help you with your problem, but I can tell you that PlayReady on my HTPC has never asked me to update it. My HTPC has been in service for more than 2 years. I don't allow Windows Updates to install. I have two CableCARD tuners (HD HomeRun Prime) and most of my channels are copy-protected. I used to have a Ceton InfiniTV4 also. Never had a problem with PlayReady (knock on wood).

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:08 pm

I apply all the Windows updates, and I've never been prompted to update PlayReady either.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Odd, I can honestly say I remember once or twice having Playready ask for update and refusing to do anything else until I do so. But I only recently turned off windows updates.

As to channels not tuning, not sure what the issue there is but I know occasionally when I reboot my HTPC the InfinTV4 tuners take a minute or two (and in the old days of original firmware 4 to 5 minutes) before they could tune in channels... but again not sure....

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:13 pm

I've only seen the update request on initial setup or if I change/upgrade hardware.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:21 pm

A question for the OP: Have you checked the Windows event logs to see if there are some errors being reported?

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:33 pm

I have the same problem as OP. Have always had the issue since install of Ceton PCIe (about a year ago). Any time I have to restart whether forced or inadvertent, I will have to reinstall playready. Any windows update can also trigger it. I leave my rig on 24/7 and do not sleep it so that is how I get around the issue. Was doing this anyway because of an HDMI handshake issue with sleep (so unrelated). My procedure is just to update playready upon each restart before trying to tune any channels. However once updated all of my channels play fine. So I guess our problems are slightly different. I've asked the question and searched for answers high and low. No one can explain or hint to a cause. Windows logs show no errors. I have fresh installed Windows at least 3 times within the past year on this rig (for various other issues) but none have fixed this problem for me. It must be one of those unexplained hardware unique issues that not everyone or all combinations of hardware will experience.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:07 am

Thanks for all the replies, at least it's not just me. I was worried until I got to EZ's post. I haven't seen anything in the error logs, but did go to the Ceton program (not the diagnostic in WMC) this past time. It was showing an issue with the cable card. I pulled it out and reinserted and it cleared it up. Like I mentioned, even after the playready update it takes awhile to kick in. This time it didn't until I pulled the cable card.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:07 am

Maybe you should post this in the Ceton InfiniTV forum, and/or open a support ticket with Ceton. This is not normal.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:52 am

Good idea. I'll wait until it happens again so I can grab a log. Thanks again for all the input.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:08 pm

lucasbuck wrote:This time it didn't until I pulled the cable card.
Sounds familiar to what was going on for me a few months ago. Have not seen the PlayReady update since replacing the CableCard.

hakamarob

Post by hakamarob » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:31 am

just curious, what ever became of this? I ask because I have been getting playready update boxes every few weeks.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:35 pm

There's not much you can do with PlayReady until it breaks. If you only see it every few weeks, I wouldn't be concerned about it. I was getting it every day, some days every time I changed the channel.