Did Ceton get Copy-Once compatibility on Android?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
exigence7

HTPC Specs: Show details

Did Ceton get Copy-Once compatibility on Android?

Post by exigence7 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Was the Android Echo update going to allow live TV streaming and viewing in Android or was it simply a front end that launched an Windows Extender program? There's a lot of other solutions out there - XBMC, Plex, etc - but none of them can handle a Copy Once flag. If Ceton had a way to view content that was flagged Copy Once on an Android device, that would be something that people would really want. If nothing else, it would give the ability to use WMC as a backend and XBMC as an extender.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:41 pm

exigence7 wrote:Was the Android Echo update going to allow live TV streaming and viewing in Android or was it simply a front end that launched an Windows Extender program? There's a lot of other solutions out there - XBMC, Plex, etc - but none of them can handle a Copy Once flag. If Ceton had a way to view content that was flagged Copy Once on an Android device, that would be something that people would really want. If nothing else, it would give the ability to use WMC as a backend and XBMC as an extender.
It relied on Media Center. Someone is selling one on here I think. But they did not do what you want it to do.

exigence7

Post by exigence7 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:37 pm

So you are saying that if I wanted to watch live TV or recorded TV on an Echo with Android, I would select a media center program which would do some sort of VM of the traditional windows extender program?

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:47 pm

I've wondered the same thing. Sammy2's post at the bottom of this topic says they did get copy-once working. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520744/ceton ... t_24439568
Out of curiousity-did the Android version play Copy Once content?
Yes it did. You switch back and forth between android and WMC by long pressing the green button. The TV tuner in android worked for Copy Once content too but the guide was never implemented.
Also, doesn't HDHomeRun View for Android also support streaming copy-once channels? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... st.mg.upnp

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:12 pm

Based on the screen shots of the Android/Echo implementation, the Echo ran Android, and had a way to launch the Media Center Extender code. The extender code is the piece that is needed, and must be licensed from Microsoft (and they aren't selling the licenses anymore).

EDIT: Yes, the Silicondust app for Android does let you watch copy-protected shows.... but it's live TV only, and the interface sucks.

jjwatmyself

Post by jjwatmyself » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:39 pm

Yes, copy protected playback is supported on Android with the HDHomeRun VIEW. Picture of Showtime below.

The interface is usable, but has many areas that can be improved. MPEG2 streams on Android (wifi) are more robust as SD and struggle with HD. MEPEG4 solves this is my opinion due to the lower required bit rate.