Unwanted power-off of IR receiver on sleep?

clemon79

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unwanted power-off of IR receiver on sleep?

Post by clemon79 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 pm

Hey gang! I've had a problem that has been bothering me the last few weeks.

For the most part my WMC machine is running great, save for one issue: the machine is now insisting on powering down the USB port attached to my IR receiver when it goes to sleep, which means I can't reliably wake it back up with a remote. (That said, the mouse or keyboard attached spring it right back to life.) If I put it to sleep and then try to wake it right away with the remote, it usually works, but if I wait a bit, after a fashion it won't work anymore, so it really feels like the OS is telling it it can shut down.

I'm trying to figure out the chain of connections in Device Manager so I can make sure all of the right boxes are checked to not power down the receiver on sleep (really, I think they're all checked now) but in Device Manager there are a boatload of Human Interface Devices such as "HID-compliant consumer control device" and "USB Input Device" and such that aren't really descriptive, and some have the Power Management tab and some don't. And the same when you get down to the USB section.

I am running MCE Standby Tool, the beta version, but I don't think that's going to affect this part of it.

Any advice as to how to track down which Device Manager items I need to be paying special attention to would be welcomed...

tad

Post by tad » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:38 pm

Check your motherboard manual. You may need to set the USB port to stay powered on while in standby. The jumper is usually labeled something like +5VSB. Alternatively (or additionally) you may need to enable it in the bios.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:40 pm

tad wrote:Check your motherboard manual. You may need to set the USB port to stay powered on while in standby. The jumper is usually labeled something like +5VSB. Alternatively (or additionally) you may need to enable it in the bios.
Yes, I should have mentioned; I have reconfirmed that that is set properly. (It's a BIOS setting for me.)

Again, this worked fine at one point.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:20 am

In Device Manager, go down to the section labeled Universal Serial Bus controllers. One of the devices in the list will be eHome Infrared Receiver. Open the properties, go to the Power Management tab, and ensure the box is checked allow the device to wake the computer. Then go through all of the hubs and composite devices and make sure none of them are set to allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:08 am

richard1980 wrote:One of the devices in the list will be eHome Infrared Receiver. Open the properties, go to the Power Management tab, and ensure the box is checked allow the device to wake the computer. Then go through all of the hubs and composite devices and make sure none of them are set to allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.
Yeah, I double-checked this tonight: not a one has the power-saving box checked. And I went through everything in both the Human Interface Devices list *and* the USB Devices list.

It's damned puzzling and I don't know what to make of it. I don't *think* it's the receiver itself doing it, but I suppose it's not 100% impossible, either. Wouldn't make sense for it to though.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:17 am

Have you tried it in a different slot??
Lee

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:51 pm

Well, I tried moving it to the other port this morning, but here's the thing: this is a Shuttle-based system, so there are 2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports in the back. So it's just moving from one to the other on the same hub, because I am not going to waste a 3.0 port on an infrared receiver. (Although to be fair I'm not sure what else I would use it for (I already have external storage hooked up to one port), so maybe it doesn't matter.)

I'll check it again this afternoon. When I tried it this morning (before moving it) it woke right up, but then after putting it back to sleep a couple times it got turned off again. And I just don't think it's the receiver, because when the machine is awake, it works 100% fine every time.

It's only an annoyance when I leave it long enough (because I'm doing something else on the Xbox One) for it to sleep on its own and the Sleep button on my remote won't wake it, forcing me to get up and grab the mouse or keyboard (which work every single time) to do it. :) But it's so close to working!

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:33 pm

If all else fails, figure out how long you have before the ir receiver breaks, and set up an automatic task to wake the computer from sleep, then it it back to sleep at that interval.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:33 pm

If all else fails, figure out how long you have before the ir receiver breaks, and set up an automatic task to wake the computer from sleep, then it it back to sleep at that interval.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:38 pm

makryger wrote:If all else fails, figure out how long you have before the ir receiver breaks, and set up an automatic task to wake the computer from sleep, then it it back to sleep at that interval.
Well, since that number is erratic but can occasionally be measured in seconds rather than minutes or hours, I'm not sure that's a good option. :)

It may be that putting it on the 3.0 bus along with the external drive is the way to go. We'll see what happens when I get home from work tonight. :)

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:59 pm

I have some ir dongles that will wake the PC from sleep and some that don't. All of them are Rosewill. Also to get one of them to work properly I have to sleep it from the remote first before the PC can put itself to sleep to be woke by the remote. All strange. I would also make sure you don't have some kind of hybrid sleep function enabled as well. I have a PC that will hibernate after sleeping for a period of time.

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Oh I assure you I have hybrid sleep turned off. :)

It's not a matter of the dongle itself working or not, really; it's that it's erratic and I'm not sure why. This morning, for example, when I totally expected it not to work because it had been asleep all night? Popped right back to life. Slept it again, finished brushing my teeth: now it's not working. So it's not time-based.

It might just be an unreliable function I have to live with, and I can live with it, but at the same time I was hoping there was an easy way to sleuth this out that I didn't know about because I like fixing these little things. :)

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 pm

Are there any usb headers on the board? Might be worth a try if so.
Also I've had issues with wireless devices affecting each other have you tried it without the keyboard/mouse (assuming they're wireless!)
Lee

clemon79

Post by clemon79 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:19 pm

milli260876 wrote:Are there any usb headers on the board? Might be worth a try if so.
I will double-check but I don't think so. Again, the BIOS setting is correct. But I will check for jumpers.
Also I've had issues with wireless devices affecting each other have you tried it without the keyboard/mouse (assuming they're wireless!)
The keyboard and mouse are RF, the remote is infrared. No reason they would conflict. (And, again, there is no conflict at all when the machine is awake.)

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 pm

I had issue with RF and Bluetooth now that I think about it! both radiowaves!!
Lee