Resolution problems with RCA LED55C55R120Q

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
rakosnik

HTPC Specs: Show details

Resolution problems with RCA LED55C55R120Q

Post by rakosnik » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:09 am

Forgive me :oops: if I'm posting this in the wrong place on this forum. I couldn't figure out a better place than to think of the RCA LED55C55R120Q as a HTPC Component :thumbup: and since this problem involves a HTPC I wanted to ask for the advice of The Green Button community.

I have a Windows 7 HTPC (an AssassinHTPC Elite) hooked up via HDMI to a RCA LED55C55R120Q. When I first turn it on it says 1080p 60Hz, but it doesn't show an image. Then after a few moments it blinks and says 1024x768 60Hz and shows a distorted image of Windows Media Center because my HTPC is set to 1920x1080. If I minimize WMC and go to the desktop the TV blinks again and after a few moments (far too long by this point :evil: ) switches to 1080p. I can then go back to WMC and watch TV the way it is intended.

This is a frustrating, far too manual and time consuming a situation. I used to have the same HTPC hooked up to a Vizio SV472XVT and I didn't have this problem or anything close to it. Recently the HTPC has been making the sound as if a new piece of hardware was just plugged into it when I turn the TV on :shock: . I checked the drivers for the monitor and it says it is a Generic PnP Monitor. I told Windows 7 to update it, but it said that I had the most recent driver for the monitor.

Under the TV's picture settings is set to "Full 100%" Under Setup the Video Style is set to "Video." I've also tried switching the Video Style to Graphic and that unlocks a picture setting called, "Dot by Dot," but that does fix the problem either.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is it the driver for the monitor? Is it because I used to have the HTPC plugged into a different HDTV? If so should I unistall and reinstall the Generic PnP Monitor driver? Or is there some setting in the graphics card (Intel Graphics) that might need to be changed? Or is there some settings for the TV that I need to change and by some miracle I either haven't tried yet or when I did I missed noticing that it solved my problem. Any other ideas? :?:

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:39 am

rakosnik

Post by rakosnik » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:34 pm

This sounds highly technical. I don't see where the link you provided talks about EDID. Your link does talk about creating a custom driver, but it mostly talks about getting better color accuracy. Perhaps getting a custom driver would have an impact on EDID.

I did find a Microsoft MSDN page talking about EDID.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 85%29.aspx

I also found a AVS Forum post that is goes on for pages and pages talking about EDID override. The first page of the post was talking mostly about audio issues.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1091403/edid-override-thread

I'm not familiar with registry edits. Is this less complicated than it appears at first glance or am I just screwed?

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:37 pm

Did you try running the TV setup in wmc?

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:53 pm

I just had this same exact issue with a secondary HTPC I built for my bedroom. Unlike my main HTPC that has a GT430 which is just incredible for HTPC's, I used on board video for my cheap build. It works great but every time I turn the tv on and off I lose my resolution settings. I was getting the same exact resolution as you. I fixed it by exiting wmc with the remote and going back in. That got annoying real quick especially for the GF. Here is how you fix it without that EDID crap.

Turn on your tv and make sure you have the WRONG RESOLUTOIN so the crapy 1024x768. This is the default resolution for windows media center by the way.

Next go to tasks, settings, TV, Configure TV or Monitor.

Now go through the setup and when it asks make sure you tell it you have it connected to a tv and then HDMI.

It will then come up with a screen asking you what resolution you want. Select 1080p.

After choosing this you can skip the rest of the setup once it gives you that option unless you want to go through the rest. After that the resolution will stick. I am serious it is that easy. IT WAS DRIVING ME INSANE! Let me know how it works out for you.