Temp disable WMC on backup HTPC?

famewolf

HTPC Specs: Show details

Temp disable WMC on backup HTPC?

Post by famewolf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:41 pm

Is there a way to temporarily "disable" a backup HTPC running WMC? I had to rebuild my main htpc...windows got real flakey so I took the time to set up a backup HTPC first. (thank goodness for hdhomerun network tuners).....I now have the main one running lean and mean but I'd like to keep the backup "ready to go". Obviously I don't need both of them trying to record the same shows etc.

Thanks for your time.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:54 pm

I guess a quick and dirty way would be to set the eh* services on the backup box to disabled using services.msc

You could also "image" the working setup, and then keep that image on a HDD - ready to restore if needed, rather than have two setups actively running.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

famewolf

Post by famewolf » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:26 pm

holidayboy wrote:I guess a quick and dirty way would be to set the eh* services on the backup box to disabled using services.msc

You could also "image" the working setup, and then keep that image on a HDD - ready to restore if needed, rather than have two setups actively running.

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion makes alot of sense...I guess now that I have two htpc's working exactly as I want them I've gotten greedy....well that and the backup DOES have it's own single tuner (should be dual tuner but ATI in it's infinite wisdom decided they didn't need to make a windows 7 driver for perfectly good hardware because it was to "old". (ATI TV Wonder PCI card) so I guess if I want to use THAT tuner it would have to be under linux which DOES support it. *shakes head*.

I did use macrium reflect to make images of both machines multiple times in the process, in case something went haywire which when it's one of MY projects somehow seems to be more a given then a possibility. I may resort to shutting down the services or shutting the pc down and leaving it off till I might need it since the pc box is a spare and I'm using nomachine to be able to remote control it. (totally replaces VNC and tons more features/free)

Decisions. Decisions.