WMC and ripped DVD's

irongolem

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC and ripped DVD's

Post by irongolem » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:57 pm

Anyone having issues playing ripped DVD's using VOB type file format in Win8 WMC (pro pack)? I have tried on 3 different PC's and all have the same problem. When selecting the file to open, It opens a blank play screen. The files run fine on Win7 and PowerDVD also plays them fine on Win7 and 8. Is there a registry setting or something that needs to be tweaked to get them playing? I use MyMovies to organize them and have been using it since XP. Have never had an issue with this combo.

Thanks for any help/input.

irongolem

Post by irongolem » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:26 am

Hmmmm.....no one has seen this problem or has an idea on what may be the problem? I can't believe no one has tried playing a .vob file with WMC other than me. LOL I would have thought at least one person in the 50 that viewed the topic would have tried and failed or it worked for them.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:54 am

Are you trying to play them from a network share? There is a post by FrankAZ regarding the issue.

Edit: disregard...his issue was playing FROM a Windows 8 machine.

irongolem

Post by irongolem » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. :)

Have you yourself had any issues with playing .vob files in Win8?

I did not mention it before but, running a actual DVD works fine. Only the rips do not. Just to reiterate, they run fine on XP, Vista and Win7 as well as when using PowerDVD in Win8 (with or without WMC installed).

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 pm

Where do your .vobs reside? On a server? On a W8 machine?

This is the post I had mentioned, maybe something will click...
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=2425

It might help to describe your actual folder structure. Hopefully your .vob files are in VIDEO_TS folders.

cncb

Post by cncb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Are you by any chance trying to play the DVD rip stored on a Win8 Storage Space? If so, see http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=2516.

irongolem

Post by irongolem » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:16 am

Hey thanks for the replies....

Unfortunately neither fits the issue I am having.

I am using Windows Server 2012 essentials as the server (MyMovies server plug-in) with my storage on a NAS device) Just for a test, I copied a folder from the server share to the local Win8 PC and the same problem happens.

My main HTPC is Win7 and it works flawlessly....my desktop and Surface Pro are Win8.1 (preview) and Win8 respectively. The desktop had the issue also prior to move from 8 to 8.1.

The movies are in a VIDEO_TS folder...basically the standard DVD format.

I guess ripped .vob files just do not work with Win8 or there is a reg setting that is looking for copy protection as the original DVD's of the rips play fine. I general only rip the main movie, but will try the whole disk and see if that makes a difference.

irongolem

Post by irongolem » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Ok, I tried using the full disc rip and no change, still just a blank (blue) play screen yet no sound or image.

Seems I will need to move to a different format if I ever want to use Win8 for playback or use something like PowerDVD.

Thanks for the help!

Ohmytvc15

Post by Ohmytvc15 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:37 pm

How are you opening them? I open my ripped DVDs in the movies section, not vidoes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

irongolem

Post by irongolem » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Not doing anything special to open them. Any method I use does not work. I normally would open them in from the movies section (my movies), but I can open it directly from the server in Windows using MCE as the application to open them and the result is the same....just a blank blue screen with the play controls at the bottom.

If you are not having issues, how did you rip them? I use DVDFab to rip them, using the "main movie" only option.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:47 pm

I copied a ripped DVD (Video_TS and AUDIO_TS folders) from my main Win7 HTPC this morning to my Win8 desktop, and added a folder to the Movies Library in 8MC. When I opened the Movies gallery, the ripped DVD was listed, and when I double-clicked on it, it played normally. The particular DVD that I tested with hadn't been trimmed in any way, so I got a couple of chapters at the beginning for the trailers that were on the original DVD, and then the main menu, and I was able to select the different DVD options (Play, Select Scene, Extras, etc) and everything displayed properly. (Though I had forgotten just how crappy standard def DVD content looks when played full screen up close on a 1920x1080 desktop monitor 18" from your face!)

Ohmytvc15

Post by Ohmytvc15 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:28 pm

I use DVDshrink on all my rips and makeMKV for anything DVDshrink cant rip. I dont use a server though. Never had any problems. Maybe its a HDCP issue "High-Definition Copy(right) Protection". Just guessing here.

irongolem

Post by irongolem » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:31 am

My current collection still will not function properly. It is not a HDCP issue as they play just fine in Win7. I also have already tried a ripped version of the entire disk minus the copy protection with no luck. I have though been able to rip a DVD into one single VOB and it plays fine. This however does not help me with the others already done in the regular format of separate vob's. Will keep trying some other things, but I am not hopeful it will work :-( .

redsyrup

Post by redsyrup » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:26 pm

Any news on a fix for this? I've been having the same problems with Windows 8.1, WMP12 and K-Lite 10.20 installed. I can play single .VOB files just fine outside of a VIDEO_TS Folder but inside it's a no go. It doesn't matter if the VIDEO_TS Folder is local on the hard drive, on a DVD or Network Share.

It's as if Windows sees the VIDEO_TS Folder and locks it down to prevent playback.