Sleep or Hybrid sleep for my HTPC/Server

pd veeps

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sleep or Hybrid sleep for my HTPC/Server

Post by pd veeps » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:47 pm

Hey guys. I have a pc sleep question

It's running on AMD a6-3500, 64gb SSD for the OS and a 3TB Seagate for my storage drive. Also running a HDMI Detective with the EDID of my Denon AVR-891.
Its running Windows 7. wmc, with media browser 3 server and media browser classic.
I built in this past October and I think I have finally worked most bugs out of it. This is my first pc i've ever built.

It wakes for recordings and when i login to media browser from my iphone or android tablet.

I've been running hybrid sleep.

My question is, Should I be running hybrid sleep or just regular sleep. I was playing with regular sleep yesterday and it's much quicker to sleep.

Which mode will cause less issues and is better for the hardware?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:16 pm

I let my machine use hybrid sleep - if there's ever power cut while it's asleep then the machine resumes normally - it's the best of both worlds (s3+s4) as far as I'm concerned.

The slightly longer fall asleep time doesn't worry me tbh - if the box is going to sleep then I'm not using it so it can take it's time :)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:17 pm

pd veeps wrote:Hey guys. I have a PC sleep question

It's running on AMD a6-3500, 64gb SSD for the OS and a 3TB Seagate for my storage drive. Also running a HDMI Detective with the EDID of my Denon AVR-891.
Its running Windows 7. WMC, with media browser 3 server and media browser classic.
I built in this past October and I think I have finally worked most bugs out of it. This is my first PC i've ever built.

It wakes for recordings and when i login to media browser from my iphone or android tablet.

I've been running hybrid sleep.

My question is, Should I be running hybrid sleep or just regular sleep. I was playing with regular sleep yesterday and it's much quicker to sleep.

Which mode will cause less issues and is better for the hardware?
It is (was?) widely recommended to use Sleep when using an SSD. Sleep stores everything in memory, while either of the Hibernation options write to the drive. See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -questions for differences in the options and why your machine sleeps so much faster when not using Hybrid. Also see http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=1597 for other SSD-related information.

The reasoning behind using sleep vs. the hibernate options is to reduce the write cycles on the SSD, thus improving longevity. I honestly don't know how true this is today with current SSDs, having just installed my first SSD a couple of weeks ago.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm

^ definitely a fair point.

I'm happy to give up write cycles however, rather than come back to my machine after a power failure during s3 sleep, only to find that a Media Center .db error has reset my guide to factory defaults - again. (Arggghhhhh!)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.