Software for playing HD-DVD?

stangdaman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Software for playing HD-DVD?

Post by stangdaman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:02 pm

I have a blu ray/hd dvd combo drive. I used to be able to play both formats in XP but I recently moved that drive to a Windows 7 machine. I have AnyDVD HD running to break the encryption but in order to be able to play the old hd dvd discs i have had to run an older version of powerdvd since Cyberlink broke the hddvd playback a few years ago. Unfortunately powerdvd 7.3 doesn't appear to be compatible with Windows 7. I know I'm trying to work with an old format that's no longer supported but does anyone know of a player that still will play them? I know total media theater used to but i don't know if they still do.

stangdaman

Post by stangdaman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:04 pm

So, just after posting this I noticed that I had received a response from Arcsoft. I had asked them about this and their reply was that the latest version of totalmedia theater would not work but. However, their support person sent me the install files for Total media 3 and said it would. I tried it out and it does and of course total media integrates much more nicely with WMC than the old PowerDVD did too. I usually am pretty quick to criticize software support when it's bad so I only think it's fair to praise them when it's good. Wow, if Arcsoft is that helpful when I haven't even purchased a thing from them I can imagine they're pretty good with the paying customers too. If I ever have occasion too I will purchase the latest version of total media with all the extra bells and whistles.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:43 am

On that note, TMT6 is currently $30 on Newegg. I don't know for how long but as far as I know it's always been a lot more than that.