Anyone using a Now TV Box?

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
mark1234

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone using a Now TV Box?

Post by mark1234 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:53 am

I'm thinking of getting one of Sky's new Now TV Boxes for iPlayer use as they're only ten quid. Anyone else got one? Any comments?

https://shop.nowtv.com/
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm tempted too, but without WMC integration it's another remote control, another power supply and another hdmi connection.
I do like the size of the box, but the sports subscription looks expensive at £9.99 for one day.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Nice bit of kit for a tenner, works with the roku mediabrowser 3 plugin too btw!!
worth the £10 just for that imho...
Lee

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Since asking this question I have actually bought one of these. Got it on a deal where it cost me minus £2, so completely risk free!

TBH, all I've done with it is connect it up and watch one episode of HIGNFY on iPlayer. The video playback was fine, and streams in HD, but the main UI on the box is slow. Slow, slow, slow, slow, slow! It's a bit like one of the Linksys extenders - fine at its main job, but painful to use the menus.

Covering Pixelz points, yes it is another HDMI, remote etc. To be honest, after TV being an exclusively Media Centre experience in my house since 2005, I'm hoping this will start to wean the family off MCE dependence. I agree that the sports day package is expensive compared to the monthly cost, but if you're only going to use it once, maybe twice, a month then it's still cheaper, and also cheaper than it would be to actually attend the event you're watching. Not that I'm a sports fan, so won't be paying at all...

apbms1

Post by apbms1 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:09 pm

If they did a media cente plugin that could replace tunerfreemce . Id happily pay a tenner for it.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:49 am

An update to say that the NowTV box is getting some proper use and I'm very happy with it.

It's got iPlayer, 4oD and Demand 5, so all the mainstream TV is covered. There are a number of other channels/apps that you can install. The Vevo one is getting use in my household.

iPlayer and Vevo are both in HD (subject to the actual content being HD). Not so sure about the 4 and 5 offerings, though last I checked they weren't HD even on their websites so I'm not holding out hope there, but they're perfectly watchable. I had a 30 day Sky Movies trial and it wasn't in HD on the only film I tried watching.

I think the only thing missing from this is, as much as I detest it, a YouTube app. Everything else is covered, it's only a tenner, and who doesn't want to see Katy Perry and Pixie Lott in HD first thing in the morning?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm definitely getting one of these - especially now that I've seen a few posts a saying that you can sideload Mediabrowser3 on to it!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:42 pm

£10.99 for a days access to Sky Sports? i barely pay that for a month in my sub! i'm going for an NUC with MB3 on personally

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:08 pm

I have no interest in paying $ky anything once I have the box!

I'll use it mainly for iPlayer tbh, MB3 will be a nice bonus
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 pm

I don't use MB3 at all, but I've just seen this post saying that live TV is coming to it, using Media Centre as the backend. Does this mean the NowTV box could be a £10 extender? Why do people care about the £450 XBox One being an extender?

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... -platform/

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:13 pm

mark1234 wrote:I don't use MB3 at all, but I've just seen this post saying that live TV is coming to it, using Media Centre as the backend. Does this mean the NowTV box could be a £10 extender? Why do people care about the £450 XBox One being an extender?

http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... -platform/

Because it would be the one thing in our lives that we could talk to and it would listen and not talk back! XBOX OFF!

duncane

Post by duncane » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:43 pm

mark1234 wrote:...Does this mean the NowTV box could be a £10 extender? ...
Eventually yes. The MB team are getting the web client working first then it's up to the individual devs to implement on their clients, Roku being one.

It's rolling out this weekend, so I'm hoping to test!