WMC is slow to load files from NAS

Fireater1968

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC is slow to load files from NAS

Post by Fireater1968 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:56 am

Intel Core i3 2GB ram...all intel (including nic) asus setup. All it does is media center, records tv fine.. one saphire and one dual tuner Hauppauge ... 3 shows at once tv playback is great!

However, recently i have begun to have a strange network issue. All of my movies reside on a Nas4free box. Added the shares to media center and it worked fine up until five or so months ago now its slow!!! soo slow!!! and hangs while trying to retrieve the list of files and folders on my movie drive

Reboot the media center box and it works great for about 3 minutes then it does it again. I have since mapped the movie drive to a Z: drive and reset media center to look for a "local" drive but this does not help.

P.S. exit media center and the folders work fine in windows explorer.. quick and responsive. Is there some windows update that has caused this?

One more oddity.. if it hangs in a small folder "containing only a few avi's" you can click "play all at the top while the circle is spinning and it will play the first movie in the directory even tho the listing is never shown on the screen.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:02 am

So, if you copy one of the movies from your nas, to your media pc, do you hit the same issue?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 pm

WMC is trying to build the database and images for the front end. If you are not using SSD, it takes a little bit of time. Either switch SSD as your OS drive, or try using readyboost device. It will get your library up and running a little bit faster. Or, just let the system build the library before playing.

You should see snapshot images from each of the videos on the screen when you are in the video's folder.

Fireater1968

Post by Fireater1968 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:28 am

Not sure about local drives. And no its not the snapshot thing. I'm in the video section where u can browse by directory without all the thumbnail images. It just can't display the directory listing. Used to work great but I'm wondering if there visit a windows update that has affected network performance within WMC.