So which digital copy should I download?

makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

So which digital copy should I download?

Post by makryger » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Just bought a dvd with a 'digital copy' included. Despite it advertising "Enjoy your movie on all your devices", it really only lets you download the movie for one provider.

The provider choices are iTunes, Amazon Instant Video, or Google Play. For Google Play, it says "No download". Same with Amazon. So that leaves me with itunes... will I be able to play the itunes movie file from within media center, using My Movies as the gateway? Or is there some sort of authentication process or something else that would limit me?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

nathagt

Post by nathagt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:27 pm

I tried playing a mp4 video file (its a tv show episode) that I bought from iTunes in Windows Media Player and got an error about no usage rights.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:42 pm

I would simply use the media you purchased for MC viewing. Digital copy assumes you purchased something real(?)/tangible(?) to obtain the digital copy in the first place. After that, the decision of which digital copy to download depends on what device you use other than MC. I like Chromecast so I would choose Google Play; If you own an AppleTV then iTunes is the obvious pick. UltraViolet isn't bad if you appreciate watching movies on your phone or tablet but as of yet, can't be viewed on a big screen in a convenient manner.

In a nutshell, digital download doesn't really have a place in MC.