Preventing the WMC from going into standby

Bexleymonk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Preventing the WMC from going into standby

Post by Bexleymonk » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:39 pm

I have a Quad Core I7 running Windows7 with a Ceton internal card with 6 tuners. The system is working perfectly with the exception of 2 irritating issues which maybe related. Issue one the Media Center goes into "Stand-by" every night even though I have the system settings never to sleep. It will not come out of sleep until I walk down to the basement and press the flashing power button.

Issue two is I also notice that when I toggle from the HDMI in on the Sony TV that is connected to the media center PC to DVD in or Cable Box in the Media Center also goes into standby and the MC extenders (Xbox 360) can no longer connect until I run back to the basement and force the PC out of stand by. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rich

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:56 pm

What kind of video card do you have? I found that certain AMD (ATI) drivers completely broke my power options such that nothing I changed had any effect, and I had to go back several restore points to fix it.

To wake properly, you'll have to get wake on LAN working in your e-net card device manager as well as enable PCI wake in your BIOS settings.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Almost forgot, there's a nice little utility called Don't Sleep that works beautifully for me. I only use it occasionally, but you could use it all the time in your case.

TetterkeT

Post by TetterkeT » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:23 pm

If you don't feel like downloading a separate program you should be able to do this from Power Options in Control Panel. From there click on "Change Plan Settings" or "Choose when the computer sleeps."

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:44 pm

TetterkeT wrote:If you don't feel like downloading a separate program you should be able to do this from Power Options in Control Panel. From there click on "Change Plan Settings" or "Choose when the computer sleeps."
OP already did that, and it didn't work. Something is definitely wrong. I had a similar issue when I uninstalled an AMD video driver once. The uninstall utility completely wiped out my power options, and I had no control over them from that point on. I ultimately had to do a fresh install of windows to fix it.