How to move recorded tv folder to mapped drive

ewalker

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ewalker » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Wow venom, You seem very angry that I found a way to do this. We will leave it to the members of this forum to decide if it works or not. I have a job and dont have the time to go back and fourth with you on this subject. All I know from my 15 years as a technology professional in a financial firm is that it does work.

Members of the community, Please try my method and post your results. If it works for you let us know, if not well then I have some mystical powers that are letting me record directly to my server. :)

STC

Post by STC » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Pretty soon this thread may get a penny drop :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 am

ewalker wrote:Wow venom, You seem very angry that I found a way to do this. We will leave it to the members of this forum to decide if it works or not. I have a job and dont have the time to go back and fourth with you on this subject. All I know from my 15 years as a technology professional in a financial firm is that it does work.

Members of the community, Please try my method and post your results. If it works for you let us know, if not well then I have some mystical powers that are letting me record directly to my server. :)
Ahh...I've spent most of the day arguing with 2 Calix engineers over their equipment. You're not the first to think of it or try it. I've never seen it work with anything other and iSCSI or SAN storage.

By all means everyone give it a shot. What's worst that could happen I get proven wrong. Of course I still have yet to see any proof of it working.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:05 am

Disregard most of this post. See my post below for more information.

You guys might as well stop arguing about this, because none of you are seeing why it won't work for the OP. He has 2 InfiniTVs. That should have been your first clue. Here's what happens when you try to use a symlink to a network share with an InfiniTV:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (12.65 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
And guess what that means? No live TV, and no recordings.

Here's what happens when you delete the symlink and just use the local folder:
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (12.33 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
[/s]
And venom, in your first video I think your permissions were wrong (although, does the "Everyone" account include special accounts from all PCs?). ewalker was correct about ehrecvr running as a network service. (Edit: Nevermind, I see where you had the account changed for ehcrecvr). And in the 2nd video, you didn't create your symlink correctly. You created a file symlink instead of a directory symlink. I don't know if that would make a difference or not.
Last edited by richard1980 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

ewalker

Post by ewalker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:24 am

Hi Richard,

Thanks. One difference is that I have a domain in my home which does change the permissioning on server folders.

Ed

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:02 am

ewalker wrote:Hi Richard,

Thanks. One difference is that I have a domain in my home which does change the permissioning on server folders.

Ed
Hell we aren't technically even arguing over the OP issue. We moved on to our own argument. :D

So do I. However I almost never use the Everyone account when setting permissions. The accounts that were used however do have full access to the remote share. I'll give it another go later tonight.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:17 am

OK, sad news venom, I got it to work. The problem with the WMDRM appears to have be an issue enabling ehrecvr to write to the network folder. I created 2 identical admin accounts on both PCs, and changed ehrecvr to log on as the admin account I created. After doing so, I was able to watch live TV with the buffer on the network share and record directly to my network share.

Looks like I'll be editing the wiki at WEC and here to account for this (unless someone beats me to it).

STC

Post by STC » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:46 am

So how does it cope with four records and one play back at once? I presume gigabit networking is pre-requisite for starters? Surely this pushes the limits of IP over twisted pair especially with other crap flying around the network. Broadcasts on a domain anyone?

STC

Post by STC » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:48 am

Who is....?
I am!
You are?
Yup!
Really?
I think so, hold on I'll check and get back to you....

Patric

Post by Patric » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 am

Venom51 wrote:You can record to storage over the network but it would have to be iSCSI storage. That is presented to the OS as a local drive. However that problem with that is the shared folder would have to be on the local HTPC for others to access. If your NAS is used as the iSCSI target than it isn't accessible to anyone but the HTPC that is the iSCSI host. That means to passes across the network for any files played from the HTCP that is attached to the iSCSI storage.
Just like you said, you can use iSCSI disk and 'fool' OS that you have connected local drive. You may choose any software iscsi target from this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... SI_targets

Some of them even have a free version, like iStorage (http://www.kernsafe.com/product/istorage-server.aspx), so you don't need to spend a dime. But as Venom51 said, you would need to have another 3rd party software that would allow you to record directly to that drive and use it at the same time, otherwise you are looking at data corruption. You may use something like MetaSan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetaSAN. Good luck with setting everything up! If you will do it, I'm sure you will be satisfied.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:01 am

I think I found the fault on my end. The local drive I record to is much smaller than my network storage. The size of the remote storage is not reported correctly to Media Center after the link change. It continues to think there only 250 gigs of space allocated for recording when the remote storage is actually about 2 TB. There are already 650 GB's of files so to Media Center it looks like the space has already been exceeded and the recording fails.

So indeed it looks like his method works but may have some caveats. It also brings to light another possible problem with trying to get multiple boxes to record to the same space. ewalker I extend my apologies. Can someone else confirm that the size of the remote storage is reported incorrectly to media center is the remote drive is larger than the local?

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:04 am

richard1980 wrote:OK, sad news venom, I got it to work. The problem with the WMDRM appears to have be an issue enabling ehrecvr to write to the network folder. I created 2 identical admin accounts on both PCs, and changed ehrecvr to log on as the admin account I created. After doing so, I was able to watch live TV with the buffer on the network share and record directly to my network share.

Looks like I'll be editing the wiki at WEC and here to account for this (unless someone beats me to it).
The buffering to the network always worked. It's the recording that always failed on mine. The incorrectly reported space seems to be my issue.

I created another share with no files in it. Now it just fails to record rather than bitching about not having enough space.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:26 am

@STC 6 streams was no problem on a 100 Mb network. I recorded 4 while playing back 2 other streams (one one each computer with the streams originating from the opposite computer). This is what I expected, but I had to test to be sure. To top it off, the HDD on the laptop is about 5 years old and is slow as can be. I'm sure I could have gone further, but I only have 4 tuners and 2 computers.

As for the recorder storage, I don't know why that would be a problem. WMC thinks you are recording to the local drive, so why would it calculate space based off of a different drive? I don't think that's your issue.
Last edited by richard1980 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:34 am

richard1980 wrote:As for the recorder storage, I don't know why that would be a problem. WMC thinks you are recording to the local drive, so why would it calculate space based off of a different drive? I don't think that's your issue.
You are right it does and that's why it reports the local drive size. As far as Media Center is concerned nothing has changed so it never reports the size of the remote drive however it does tabulate the size of the files stored in that directory.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:00 am

Here's one thing I noticed: After recording, the recordings are not in the Recorded TV library unless you add the network path to the library. Also, thumbnails don't appear to work.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 am

My skepticism is still in effect. There is no technical reason why it shouldn't work or why MS doesn't allow it. I know there reasoning surrounding recording quality and network hiccups but it's a thin position at best.

I observed the same thing you did Richard. Even though clicking on the symlink shows all the recordings they never show up on the Recorded TV library.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 am

Venom51 wrote:
.Nico wrote:I switched to the WHS solution because there I can select which recordings I want to transfer instead of doing the lot.
Recordings we don't keep are not transferred and will be removed after watching. We only store the recordings we want to keep, with the remote control, from within Windows Media Center.
In this way the Mrs. can do this as well without having to have to know how to edit batch-files...

.Nico
Then you are missing the point. You are recording locally then moving files. You are not recording to the WHS box directly. Unless some language barrier is causing us to fail to communicate properly.

What's being bantered over is recording directly to network attach storage and not recording at all to local storage. Which as history has shown us fails to work.
You're right, I am recording locally. Now I do... but before WHS, the symbolic link worked fine and I was recording directly to a network share.

.Nico

ewalker

Post by ewalker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Venom51 wrote:I think I found the fault on my end. The local drive I record to is much smaller than my network storage. The size of the remote storage is not reported correctly to Media Center after the link change. It continues to think there only 250 gigs of space allocated for recording when the remote storage is actually about 2 TB. There are already 650 GB's of files so to Media Center it looks like the space has already been exceeded and the recording fails.

So indeed it looks like his method works but may have some caveats. It also brings to light another possible problem with trying to get multiple boxes to record to the same space. ewalker I extend my apologies. Can someone else confirm that the size of the remote storage is reported incorrectly to media center is the remote drive is larger than the local?

Hi Venom,

No apologies are needed and I am glad that you were able to get this working. Discussion and arguing points are all part of the scientific process.

Now that we have this working, we need to find out why the recording size is being reported incorrectly. I will work on this over the weekend.

I am going to get an SSD drive for my WMC PC.

Regards,
Ed

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm

ewalker wrote:
Venom51 wrote:I think I found the fault on my end. The local drive I record to is much smaller than my network storage. The size of the remote storage is not reported correctly to Media Center after the link change. It continues to think there only 250 gigs of space allocated for recording when the remote storage is actually about 2 TB. There are already 650 GB's of files so to Media Center it looks like the space has already been exceeded and the recording fails.

Hi Venom,

No apologies are needed and I am glad that you were able to get this working. Discussion and arguing points are all part of the scientific process.

Now that we have this working, we need to find out why the recording size is being reported incorrectly. I will work on this over the weekend.

I am going to get an SSD drive for my WMC PC.

Regards,
Ed
It's not working on my end just yet but I ran out of desire to be awake at about 1:30 this morning.

ewalker

Post by ewalker » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:16 am

Hi Venom,

Did you ever get this working?

Thanks