"Copying Prohibited" error when viewing from the same PC

westgst

HTPC Specs: Show details

"Copying Prohibited" error when viewing from the same PC

Post by westgst » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:10 am

Hi all,

I hope somebody could help me out. I've been using wmc since 2009 but recently only had experience with cable card tuners. I gave my parents a small form factor htpc with cable card tuner and they've been recording their shows (a lot since it has 1TB HDD). They live 15 miles away but right now they are staying at my place because of repairs being done at their home. We are seriously getting frustrated when we couldn't play their shows in my tv at my place when it is the same PC that recorded it. We were getting the "copy prohibited" error that the show could only be watched on the same pc when it is the same darn PC. I took the pc back to their place, when whoala it plays fine. One thing I noticed is when I transport it, it resets the system clock to Dec 2006. After I updated to the correct time, it plays fine at their place. So I took it back to my place, had the same system clock rest so I updated to the current date and time and low and behold, copy protection error! I'm losing it please let me know whats happening.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 am

The reason it won't keep the time is, you need a new motherboard battery. On the same note, whatever tweaks you made to the bios, when you built it, are gone now. Fix the battery first, possibly that will solve your problems.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:43 am

What type of display is at the original location vs the new location? Maybe this is an HDCP handshake issue.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

westgst

Post by westgst » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Scallica wrote:What type of display is at the original location vs the new location? Maybe this is an HDCP handshake issue.
Both are connected via HDMI...

westgst

Post by westgst » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:33 pm

Crash2009 wrote:The reason it won't keep the time is, you need a new motherboard battery. On the same note, whatever tweaks you made to the bios, when you built it, are gone now. Fix the battery first, possibly that will solve your problems.
Thanks. I didn't do any tweaks to the bios except the updates from sony - it's a vaio htpc.

westgst

Post by westgst » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:36 pm

The weird thing is, I turned it off overnight then this morning connected it to the internet and we can now watch the recorded tv shows. Is the drm checking something online?