TA (Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter) Support Two TV Tuners?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

HTPC Specs: Show details

TA (Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter) Support Two TV Tuners?

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:08 pm

if i add an additional Ceton TV Tuner, will my existing TA (Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter) support my existing InfiniTV 4 (USB) along with the additional one?

Thanks! :)

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:57 pm

No, you need one TA per cableCARD. They pair with cableCARD/tuners so if you have two devices (any number of tuners up to six) you need two TAs. If you replace a 4 tuner with a 6 tuner device you only need one TA.

So just remember one TA per cableCARD.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:19 pm

JohnW248 wrote:No, you need one TA per cableCARD. They pair with cableCARD/tuners so if you have two devices (any number of tuners up to six) you need two TAs. If you replace a 4 tuner with a 6 tuner device you only need one TA.

So just remember one TA per cableCARD.
So, it's one TA per CC?

one TA per CC.... one TA per CC.... one TA per CC....

i might remember now. ;)

thanks for the reply, JohnW248. :)

wat do most cable companies charge for each additional TA?

TY :)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Most cable companies don't charge for the TA, only for the CableCARD. Some charge for both.

EDIT: I see you're on Brighthouse. So am I. In my area (Central Florida), they don't charge for the TA. The CableCARDs are $2.95/month.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:09 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Most cable companies don't charge for the TA, only for the CableCARD. Some charge for both.

EDIT: I see you're on Brighthouse. So am I. In my area (Central Florida), they don't charge for the TA. The CableCARDs are $2.95/month.
TY 4 the reply, barnabas1969. how u doing?

and sry 4 the long reply. but the last large paragraph has some important stuff i've decided to cram in here for ppl.

The 1st Cable Card is free with my Brighthouse. so, i'm not sure if each additional one is $2.95 or $5. i'm hoping, they pay me, $10 per month! ;)

i can't wait to have more than 4 tuners! my HTPC has a puny budget compared to my Gaming PC. so, knowing that there's a good chance of getting complementary TA(s) is great news. ty again, barnabas1969. :)

Start of this month i upgraded my HTPC's MB, CPU, Vid Card and RAM. i luv College football... UM '85... we're 3-0 for the 1st time in nine years! and i luv Pro football... in Indiana... Payton Manning for 13 years and now Andrew Luck 10+ years? OMG! :D

with my upgraded HTPC and my existing InfiniTV 4 USB, the performance is flawless. w00t! (Fast Play 2x, 4x, 8x, plus Fast Skipping back and forward is perfect. gosh, i can even flawlessly reverse play 2x, 4x and 8x. all said, even when recording 4 games! i LUV U Ceton!)

eventually, with an additional InfiniTV 6 ETH!!! and a total of 10 tuners ... B-L-I-S-S-! :) (i've had GB LAN for years. and know SOHO way above the average SOHO user.)

The unsupported nVidia Chipset (nForce 4), that i used for seven months after getting my 1st InfiniTV (4 USB), last February, plus only having 2 GB RAM (also unsupported); forced me to maximize (optimize) my Operating System's resources to the most maximum degree possible! (it was fine for up to three tuners on nForce 4 chip-set.) But dig this; all that time i spent doing it, ended up being an unbelievably, lucrative investment of my time. Because, i used an Acronis True Image Restoration feature, that allowed me to restore a backup from my nVidia Chip-set to an Intel P35 Chip-set. i was flabbergasted when it worked. and i still am! All seven months of my time optimizing my HTPC's Operationg System has been inherited by my existing Intel P35 MB and chip-set upgrade! and the Intel P35 has 4 GB RAM, too! :) (Anyone can feel free to PM me for help with restoring to different Hardware with Acronis. it's a big time saver if ur MB fails and u have to use a different Chip-set or if ur just upgrading to a better chip-set for performance sake like i just did. Three weeks have gone by, and everything works flawlessly. :D )

oh, and i see ur in Florida, barnabas1969?

Do u LUV, or do u hate, the following?

"WIDE RIGHT!" "WIDE RIGHT!... AGAIN!" "AND... AND... IT's... WIDE LEFT!... WIDE AGAIN!... O... M... G!" :D (sry, if u hate it.)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Yeah, I live in Florida. I don't know what you're talking about in that last sentence. I suppose it's a football reference. I don't watch football.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:12 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Yeah, I live in Florida. I don't know what you're talking about in that last sentence. I suppose it's a football reference. I don't watch football.
yep, just football. sad football and sad picture quality! :D

Five times, on their last play of the game, Florida State University barely missed a very easy kick against University of Miami. And as a result, they lost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYTp7IbZ2uY

1991, Wide Right #1
Miami 17 FSU 16 (Final).

1992, Wide Right #2
Miami 19 FSU 16 (Final).

2000, Wide Right #3
Miami 27 FSU 24 (Final).

2002, Wide Left
Miami 28 FSU 27 (Final).

2004, Wide Right #4
Miami 16 FSU 14 (Final).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 pm

My picture quality is great. I actually installed some ATSC tuners and an outdoor antenna because everyone talks about how much better OTA picture quality is compared to the (re-compressed) cable signal. I don't see one bit of difference in the PQ between my local channels over cable vs. OTA. The files come out about the same size too... so I don't think they are re-compressing the locals in my area.