Some Premium channels shows "Display driver error ..."

charlieswang

HTPC Specs: Show details

Some Premium channels shows "Display driver error ..."

Post by charlieswang » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:04 am

I have charter as my service provider, cable card and tuning adapter has been installed correctly, but I do still have some problem.

First of all, for some channels, such as CNN, MTV, FX, every time when I open the windows media center, it shows "Display driver error, The video playback device does not support playback of protected content." I would have to maximum and shrink the player, then it starts to show the image. How can I fix this issue.

Secondly, I am subscribing HBO, ShowTime, and CineMAX, I can't get this channels in my Windows Media Center at all, it always shows "Display driver error, The video playback device does not support playback of protected content."

I tried to maximum the screen, it shows 1 second of audio and image from the channel, then it went away.

I have passed the Digital Cable Ad-visor, and TV Signal Setup, I do have a Cisco STA1520 Tuning adapter from Charter, have already connected the USB to my PC, I have already downloaded and installed all the latest driver and firmware

from hauppauge website WinTV-DCR-2650 Installer Version 2.2; WinTV-DCR-2650 firmware 20130117; Tuning Resolver Service 31064, and I also updated my graphic card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M's driver to the latest from its official website.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate version.
Device:
WinTV-DCR-2650 Dual Tuner CableCARD receiver

Can anybody please tell me what should I do to get this problem fixed. Thank you!

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:20 pm

My guess is either your Cablecard is not paired correctly or you have some third-party codecs installed, or an app like uTorrent that installs them without your knowledge.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:23 pm

My guess would be an HDCP handshake issue. What display are you using?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:08 pm

The error indicates an issue with HDCP and has nothing to do with the CableCARD. However, it could very well be a codec issue. You must use Microsoft's DTV decoder in order to display copy-protected content. If that is not the problem, then the issue could be with HDCP support on the display device...does the display device even support HDCP?

charlieswang

Post by charlieswang » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Scallica wrote:My guess would be an HDCP handshake issue. What display are you using?
I'm using generic monitor from iMac 27 2013, my graphic card is GTX 660M, and I already updated the driver to the latest, any idea? should I install some apps to make it work? Thank you

charlieswang

Post by charlieswang » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:32 pm

richard1980 wrote:The error indicates an issue with HDCP and has nothing to do with the CableCARD. However, it could very well be a codec issue. You must use Microsoft's DTV decoder in order to display copy-protected content. If that is not the problem, then the issue could be with HDCP support on the display device...does the display device even support HDCP?
I will research MS DTV decoder for sure, hopefully it's codec issue, I'm using generic display from iMac 27 2013, GTX 660M, I already updated to the latest driver, thank you so much giving me an idea.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:34 pm

What is the actual model number of the monitor? (not the driver version)

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:25 pm

If it's an iMac, I'm almost positive that the display is connected to the motherboard via DisplayPort. The CableLabs spec did not allow output of protected content to DisplayPort until the spec was changed in May of this year. Microsoft originally designed WMC to comply with the then-current version of the spec and has not updated WMC since the spec changed. In other words, WMC does not allow output of protected content via DisplayPort.

[Moderator note: off-topic discussion moved to--> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=5963]