[HOW TO] Unable to Connect Error

For general setup and troubleshooting issues
chickencream

HTPC Specs: Show details

[HOW TO] Unable to Connect Error

Post by chickencream » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Like an Idiot I purchased not 1 but 2 apps..one for my Iphone and one for my wife's Iphone both running IOS 6.
my phone detects my PC where the backend software is installed but when i click it i get a message that goes like " Unable To Connect: Please check connection or PC settings. Ensure the date and time are in sync with this device and your HTPC. If you specified a password in my media center config please edit the PC to add it " I have no password on the backend. when I run the diagnostics under the help tab it says that everything is good. I turned off my firewall and that did not help. Opened up por 5832 on my router and nothing. Input the data on the phone manually and nothing. The clock on my PC and The phone are exact, I was hoping this app would be the answer to me not having to "Rent" another cable box since the tv i want to control is not in the same room as the PC. Im already running a ceton media extender in a different room and was hoping i can just control the pc with the infinitive 4 card.. I dont know what to do any more......... :evil: :evil:

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:58 pm

So one thing to do it open up a browser on another PC in the house and type in:

http://<ip of htpc>:5832

<ip of htpc> is the IP of the PC that shows up in the MMC config

You should see a message:
My Media Center services are running properly. Nothing to see here ... move along... move along.

If not that means that there is something blocking the outgoing connection from your HTPC to anything else.

You can also run this test on your phone as well in the browser to ensure that it is also up and running.

So if you do see this message that is good and you need to double check that date/time and time zone to ensure they are in sync.

If you do not see this message, first try to restart the PC real quick to see if that fixes it. The other question is if you have any third party Firewalls or Anti-virus applications installed on your HTPC? if so you might need to allow the app through.

Let me know.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

chickencream

Post by chickencream » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks of the quick response. I forgot to mention that i followed the tips you gave someone else on this post http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =63&t=3080 and still doesn't work. by the way i did get the message nothing to see here. move on. move on

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:06 pm

chickencream wrote:by the way i did get the message nothing to see here. move on. move on
If you go to that address from the browser on your phone, do you get the same message?

chickencream

Post by chickencream » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:56 pm

I Do get the message on my phone.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:56 am

chickencream wrote:I Do get the message on my phone.
If the web browser on your phone is getting the "Nothing to see here" message from the My Media Center Server, then you don't have a connectivity issue. Verify that your PC's time is correct, and verify that the time zone is set correctly.

chickencream

Post by chickencream » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Thank you guys, Problem solved. It turned out to be the time zone.
This went from me thinking it was the worst $10 i ever spent to being the best $10 i ever spent.
Thanks Again