HDMI-CEC is now available for HTPCs, and actually usable

hotbuddha

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI-CEC is now available for HTPCs, and actually usable

Post by hotbuddha » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:17 am

If anyone is interested there is a new product using EventGhost to allow HDMI-CEC control of Media Center HTPCs. If you want to replace your IR receiver, MCE remote, or just want a little better control with what you already use then please check it out at http://shop.rcaware.com/RCAware-PC-CEC- ... C-BNDL.htm or the main site page with a demo video here http://www.rcaware.com. I use it of course, I made it.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:45 pm

What's the difference between that and this: http://www.missingremote.com/news/2011- ... +Remote%29

Considering the other product comes with all the cables and is $26.27 cheaper, I think it's a fair question.

Edit: Follow-up question: Does your software work with only the Rainshadow HDMI-CEC adapter or could I for example purchase the Pulse Eight HDMI-CEC adapter and use it with your software?

STC

Post by STC » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:11 pm

This looks interesting. Thanks for the info.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

hotbuddha

Post by hotbuddha » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:52 pm

RCAware PC-CEC hardware (Rainshadow Tech) been rigorously beta tested and revised for over a year on version 1.9 now. Our software also beta'd for months and now in production release nearly a month, users around the world on many manufacturer HDTV and other equip. Our demo shows finished product installed/configured with GUI wrapping complexity of HDMI-CEC device management and exposing entire CEC 1.3b command set via EventGhost and even high level functionality like PC to amp vol sync. That other product is pre-order demo shows unfinished board no case being issued two commands from the command line to turn on/off a single manufacturer TV.

Remeber HDMI-CEC is standard but manufacturer implementation is not. Yes, vendors choose different CEC commands even for things like FWD, RWD, record so a tool to tweak CEC responses and buttons is vital. Our product already does all that, and even installs with macros developed by myself and beta users to handle many manufacturers equipment. When someone is using a manufacturer not already supported out of the box I am more than happy help create macros and then box them back up into the base product with ease.

RCAware works only on Rainshadow. Written 99% Python released on GNU/GPL except the custom driver/dll which I plan to use in non-GPL projects. Oh yeah for windows users like ourselves, unlike most cec bridges that use the MS drivers our driver is 100% stable plug/play supports waking PC. So anyway, the code could be hacked about for other devices but I have no plans to do so. If someone else wanted to use my Python code it is GNU so technically they're welcome to do so but I wouldn't expect a simple few lines of change, more like "back to formula".
Last edited by hotbuddha on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hotbuddha

Post by hotbuddha » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:46 am

stonethecrows wrote:This looks interesting. Thanks for the info.
Thank you glad you like it.

hotbuddha

Post by hotbuddha » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:01 pm

PS to all, the RCAware sale for 20% off was not only increased to 25% but is now the permanent price.

http://shop.rcaware.com/RCAware-PC-CEC- ... C-BNDL.htm

leetlamer

Post by leetlamer » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:18 am

Sounds good. I wasn't pleased with the ValkyrieTech software. It never really worked how it should have. I'll have to check RCAware out.

I'm glad to see theres more competition in the HDMI-CEC space. The pulse-eight hdmi-cec adapter should get wmc support sometime soon.