How to migrate to a new machine?

ThePaladinTech

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to migrate to a new machine?

Post by ThePaladinTech » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm having lots of problems with my current installation and am wondering if there is a way / a guide to moving your existing WMC install to another machine? By that all I really care about is being able to move my recordings, my scheduled recordings, and my watched / partially watched status to a new machine?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:30 pm

There are a couple of tools that will backup/restore your scheduled recordings. One is Guide Tool (paid version) and the other is MCE Backup. Some people report success with these tools, and others say that the tools corrupted their MCE database.

Your big problem is going to be moving your copy-protected recordings. They won't be watchable if you copy them to another system.

What kind of problems are you having?

ThePaladinTech

Post by ThePaladinTech » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:26 pm

Problems I am having ... oh boy :)
1. As you saw on my other post- comskip crashing... Actually not really sure if it is comskip or dvrmstoolbox... or both.
  • sometimes a recording will not have any commercial skiping yet it won't ask me to run comskip. In my experience on SageTV that means comskip has ran - but it either didn't find anything (not really likely considering it works fine on other shows of the same series) or it crashed and a skip file exists but nothing worthwhile is in it.

Sometimes it will just stop looking for shows (and I will have to launch the file watcher app... which will work for a while)
2. I get whatever that network issue prompt is on my extender. I've tested my cabling ... with a certifier they are good beyond gigabit speeds. My Switch is fine, in fact it's the same one someone is using here (you or skybolt I think) - it's a Dlink DGS-1210-24 smart switch) .... and what is strikingly weird to me about the network issue prompt is that I can get it when NOTHING is going on on my network... or I can NOT get it when I'm recording 4 shows and watching another one. no rhyme or reason.

3. general unresponsiveness of my HP 280 extender ... sometimes it just ignores the remote and other times it works fine, and most annoyingly sometimes it seems to buffer the requests and lets them all through maybe 10 seconds later. I only have the hp 280 extender.

4. and this is the one that has me wanting to start over... This machine will NOT wake up from s3 sleep. forget about WMC.... it won't wake up if I hit a key on the keyboard. Bios setting are all correct AFAIK. The machine is slow to login ... I'm thinking it has some general wonke-ness going on from all the things I've tried to get this going. And I bought this machine specifically for WMC as I couldn't get it going on hyperV.... Maybe I got a bad MotherBoard.

AS I am sitting here writing this I'm recording one show and comskip is using around 40% of my cpu... and my machine is painfully sluggish typing this post.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:44 pm

Hmmm... your CPU is faster than my i5-760. I don't use Commskip, so I can't really help you with setting it up properly. If you're willing to give ShowAnalyzer (SA) a try, I can point you to a very good guide to setting it up, and another guide for tweaking it to get 100% accuracy.

SA will use 100% of my CPU, but it runs in a low priority... so it doesn't affect responsiveness at all.

I'm not using the switch you're using, so I can't tell you if it's your switch or not. It's possible.

Your keyboard will only wake your PC if you set it to be able to wake the machine in Device Manager. Same for your remote control or any other device.

There is something I've been wanting to experiment with to be able to transfer copy-protected shows from one PC to another. My idea is to use an HP X280N extender connected to an HD-PVR (using component video and optical digital audio), and simply record the shows on the new machine. I'm planning to test this soon. I don't think it wouldn't be too difficult to make a program that would automate the process and even transfer the meta data.

KevinC25

Post by KevinC25 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:48 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:There is something I've been wanting to experiment with to be able to transfer copy-protected shows from one PC to another. My idea is to use an HP X280N extender connected to an HD-PVR (using component video and optical digital audio), and simply record the shows on the new machine. I'm planning to test this soon. I don't think it wouldn't be too difficult to make a program that would automate the process and even transfer the meta data.
Isn't the component output on the HP X280N copy protected? It is on my Linksys DMA2100 because I've tried what you're proposing with my Linksys in place of your HP. My next work-around would be to try the Extender's HDMI output into a cheap HDMI splitter with one output going to the TV and the other to an HDMI-to-Component converter and then into the HD-PVR. I know some people have issues with HDMI splitters but the $15 ebay one I use on my htpc works fine splitting WMC to one TV and to an HDMI-over-Coaxial extender to another TV so I might buy a cheap HDMI-to-Component converter and try it some time.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:47 am

I don't know if the component output is copy-protected. That's something I want to find out. I still haven't received my HD-PVR. The seller on e-bay isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. I opened a case with e-bay because I should have received it by the 15th. If I don't receive it soon, I'll ask for a refund and buy another one.

There is a way to get around the analog copy protection. It involves an analog device to "re-sync" the signal (which also removes the analog copy protection flags). I don't know how much those devices cost, and I can't remember all the details. If it comes to that, I'll look into it.