Controlling HTPC with MyMediaCenter App

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
shooter71

HTPC Specs: Show details

Controlling HTPC with MyMediaCenter App

Post by shooter71 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:02 am

I have set up my HTPC and iPhone5 and learning the functionality of how the app works with the HTPC.

Currently, if my WMC is not running on my HTPC but if I go into my MyMedia Center app on the iPhone and set a TV show to program, it appears that it will correctly set WMC to record the program appropriately and start the recording process even though the WMC application is not actually open on my HTPC. I assume this is operating as designed, correct?

However, if WMC is not open on my PC and if I go into the iphone app to select a TV show and select "watch" nothing will happen. That is, WMC application will not automatically open and begin playing. It appears that this functionality of controlling the WMC from the iphone app is only if the WMC is open on the HTPC in the first place. Is this correct?

Similarly, if I ever get a device like my Xbox to show up besides my PC, in order to get the show to play on a device, that device would need to be already on and WMC already launched, correct?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:09 am

The app only works to play something if Media Center is already running.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:49 pm

shooter71 wrote:Currently, if my WMC is not running on my HTPC but if I go into my MyMedia Center app on the iPhone and set a TV show to program, it appears that it will correctly set WMC to record the program appropriately and start the recording process even though the WMC application is not actually open on my HTPC. I assume this is operating as designed, correct?
It's important to understand that the WMC program has nothing to do with recordings. Scheduled recordings are handled by a service that runs in the background. A scheduled program will be recorded even if you log out of Windows entirely, and leave the PC sitting at the login prompt.