Logitech Harmony Remote Setup

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

Logitech Harmony Remote Setup

Post by werds » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:08 am

Ok, so I have been running WMC 7 using a logitech harmony 700 for several years now. When I had set it up initially and when I made minor changes to the remote itself one of the devices it was setup to use was Microsoft Media Center PC.

This device had all the infrared commands for specifically Windows Media Center in it. for IR I used a generic USB IR from an old Rosewill media center remote. I never had to setup any specific remote commands or "learn" them to the harmony. It just worked period!

So I bought a Harmony 900 on the cheap to add RF and since it was similar to the 700 it wouldn't confuse the wife. But since it requires you to set it up COMPLETELY from scratch I thought no big deal... except the software now claims there are no commands in the database for Windows Media Center! It then prompts to provide some other controlling device since WMC is merely software...

Problem is I have no idea what the model number of the IR receiver is, using the remote model does nothing, and just setting it as generic windows media center goes nowhere as well. I could "learn" all the commands into the remote myself, but I am wondering if I am missing something in the device setup that should get me to the correct device with requisite commands built in... Oh if it helps, device manager merely sees the IR receiver as Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver... Logitech software assumes that to be UltraTV which the commands in that database are different...

So this is more rant than anything but has anyone had recent success in just setting up a specific device with all the correct commands already in the database for WMC controls?

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:43 pm

werds wrote:Ok, so I have been running WMC 7 using a logitech harmony 700 for several years now. When I had set it up initially and when I made minor changes to the remote itself one of the devices it was setup to use was Microsoft Media Center PC.

This device had all the infrared commands for specifically Windows Media Center in it. for IR I used a generic USB IR from an old Rosewill media center remote. I never had to setup any specific remote commands or "learn" them to the harmony. It just worked period!

So I bought a Harmony 900 on the cheap to add RF and since it was similar to the 700 it wouldn't confuse the wife. But since it requires you to set it up COMPLETELY from scratch I thought no big deal... except the software now claims there are no commands in the database for Windows Media Center! It then prompts to provide some other controlling device since WMC is merely software...

Problem is I have no idea what the model number of the IR receiver is, using the remote model does nothing, and just setting it as generic windows media center goes nowhere as well. I could "learn" all the commands into the remote myself, but I am wondering if I am missing something in the device setup that should get me to the correct device with requisite commands built in... Oh if it helps, device manager merely sees the IR receiver as Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver... Logitech software assumes that to be UltraTV which the commands in that database are different...

So this is more rant than anything but has anyone had recent success in just setting up a specific device with all the correct commands already in the database for WMC controls?
You should use:
Computer - > Media Center PC
Manufacturer -> Microsoft
Model -> Windows Media Center SE

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 pm

If you're having trouble getting it to work in an activity, do a manual activity setup.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:37 am

Thanks, odd how that change was made. I would have never guessed to type that specifically in for model. On the previous remote it was just Windows 7. That remote still functions and pulls up database commands correctly I just cant seem to convince the software to do the same on the new remote. THat specific model info is perfect.