Reporting Wrong Guide Listings

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
tzr916

HTPC Specs: Show details

Reporting Wrong Guide Listings

Post by tzr916 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:45 pm

I came from Tivo where I could go to the Tivo website and report that channel XXX was listed incorrectly as channel YYY. They would email me back and a few days later it would be corrected. Is there such a thing for WMC?

My channels are all correct but I have a few series setup to record new episodes and they have not been recording. I have to check them frequently to force them to record. They are listed as new on Zap2it and TitanTv. But in WMC guide they have full descriptions and say (repeat). So reporting to Zap2it isn't the answer.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:33 pm

WMC get's it's data from Zap2it. Here's a listing from Zap2it for a show on BBC America next week:

Broadchurch
PREMIERE NEW
S01, E01 (First Aired: March 4, 2013)

Zap2it says that it's New, but it also says that the "First Aired" date was in March. As far as WMC is concerned, that's not New, it's a repeat.

I don't know whether the Zap2it data actually includes a "New" flag. Maybe it does now, but didn't years ago, when WMC was programmed to make it's decision based on the "First Aired" information.

I've occasionally been caught out by this. I usually remember to set BBCA shows to "New and rerun" for this very reason, but it does happen on other channels from time to time as well (Motive on ABC was aired in Canda earlier this year, and the "new" shows are actually reruns).

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:54 pm

I run into this with a few shows. I set the new and rerun and also set it to record at a specific time so I don't get a ton of extra recordings.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:53 pm

foxwood wrote:...(Motive on ABC was aired in Canda earlier this year, and the "new" shows are actually reruns).
Motive is one of the shows I have issue with. I didn't know it was already aired in Canada. The other one is Contiuum on Syfy, which seems has also already aired in Canada. I caught Motive in time and have not missed any episodes but I totally spaced Continuum and thus missed basically the whole second season. Normally I wouldn't mind this sort of thing, just go to the network website and watch online but Syfy isn't doing that for Continuum (they have full episodes on the Canadian site but it's blocking me based on location/IP). Also can't get them on the Xfinity site. They are not re-running the shows late night, so I guess I have to wait for a marathon or something. Right now the only way to legally get them in the USA is pay Amazon $1.99/show <- F that.

So I guess this might be cured if Zap2it could change the way Canadian aired shows are listed in the USA guide...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:51 pm

I doubt Zap2It will do anything to "fix" this. The data that they are providing isn't technically incorrect, though it could be argued that if you ask for data for zip code 12345, the "First Aired" date should refer to when it first aired in 12345, but I can't seem them doing that.

This is a pretty rare occurrence in the US - the US networks prefer to remake shows rather than buy content from abroad, but viewers in Europe must see lots of US shows some time after they aired in the US. I wonder do the data providers in the US use the original US air date for the "First aired" field, or do they use the local air date?

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:24 pm

Here in Canuk land, we get reasonably good idents for Premieres, even if it was shown in the US first, it seems they do mark shows up correctly for viewing here....usually....
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123