Win 8 + Echo = Unimpressive or am I missing something?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
pbj

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win 8 + Echo = Unimpressive or am I missing something?

Post by pbj » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:46 pm

I have been eager to get my Echo rolling since moving into my house a couple of weeks ago. Went through a few hiccups during the setup, but I managed to get the network to recognize it. So it pulls up and says that I have to use the My Media Center App, which means the remote control that comes with it is only now for turning it on and off.
Secondly, I was looking forward to using the WMC UI, but NO, all I can do is change the channel with my iPad or Lumia 900.

Am I missing something here? Shouldn't I be able to see the WMC UI? If not, this is quite the disappointment.

The amount of information out there, especially on the Ceton website is outdated. Even on this forum, it's a tad bit lacking. I'm eager to see the android update, but I don't even know why they bother.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:51 pm

You can thank Micosoft for that. None of the V2 extenders (Linksys 2100/2200; HP280n, Echo) will work with Windows 8. Ceton has found a workaround with their My Media Center App since the extenders can display protected content, they just can't display the UI. This didn't happen to MS own Xbox, but it doesn't operate with the same code as the V2 extenders.

When Ceton releases the FW update that they've been working on, many things are going to change on the Echo, but until they do, we're all guessing.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:49 am

This is correct that the Echo does not currently support Windows 8.

On our website:
Minimum System Requirements:
Display with HDMI input
Wired Ethernet network (100/1000 Mbps)
PC with Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Media Center. A PC with a TV tuner is required for TV and DVR features.

Like JohnW said it does have to do with the changes that Microsoft has made in RDP in Windows 8 that affects all extenders (except Xbox because it runs special extender code). You can get video, but there is no UI, which is why you can use My Media Center apps with it to control it. We put that message on the screen to inform that it isn't fully compatible and if you did want to control it you can with the apps.

Like JohnW also said the FW update that we have been working on that integrates android with windows media center extender technology brings a lot of new features and one of them is windows 8 compatibility.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:34 pm

@pbj: If you had been paying attention, you would have known about the incompatibility between Win8 and the Echo. Use Win7. There's no good reason to use Win8 on an HTPC at this time.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:51 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:@pbj: If you had been paying attention, you would have known about the incompatibility between Win8 and the Echo. Use Win7. There's no good reason to use Win8 on an HTPC at this time.
With the exception of drive striping and some other enhancements in Win8, Win7 is still the best way to go for HTPC, or any use, at this time.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:15 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:@pbj: If you had been paying attention, you would have known about the incompatibility between Win8 and the Echo. Use Win7. There's no good reason to use Win8 on an HTPC at this time.
With the exception of drive striping and some other enhancements in Win8, Win7 is still the best way to go for HTPC, or any use, at this time.
I wouldn't go quite that far. Win8, on a tablet, is pretty cool.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Yeah I use Win 8 on my desktop and don't mind it. Something must be wrong with me.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:44 pm

What I'm trying to say is the Win7 is such a great product that it is hard to improve upon it. I'm not much of a fan of the graphics with the metro tiles either. They are blocky and seem to be something from 10 to 20 years ago in their lack of depth, shading and perspective.

pbj

Post by pbj » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Motz wrote:Like JohnW also said the FW update that we have been working on that integrates android with windows media center extender technology brings a lot of new features and one of them is windows 8 compatibility.
Will we ever be given an approximate timeline? I've been reading the thread on it and the update looks awesome! I'm eager to get the update! I pre-ordered the Echo from NewEgg the first day pre-orders were available, but just now started using it because I've been renovating my house for almost 2 years and just moved in last week. So that's why I'm late to the game.
I have been reading thoroughly through this forum and understand the incompatibility, but I have yet to read anything directly saying the UI is is not available. My intention for asking such a simple question is to confirm that I'm not crazy.

I like Windows 8. It's faster than Windows 7 & just as stable.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:10 pm

It's all good. Crap happens. At least you're up to speed now. There is no ETA on the Android update for the Echo.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:13 pm

pbj wrote:I have yet to read anything directly saying the UI is is not available.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 077#p36077
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 117#p36117

The posts on those couple of pages have some pretty good info you may like.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:54 pm

pbj wrote:
Motz wrote:Like JohnW also said the FW update that we have been working on that integrates android with windows media center extender technology brings a lot of new features and one of them is windows 8 compatibility.
Will we ever be given an approximate timeline? I've been reading the thread on it and the update looks awesome! I'm eager to get the update! I pre-ordered the Echo from NewEgg the first day pre-orders were available, but just now started using it because I've been renovating my house for almost 2 years and just moved in last week. So that's why I'm late to the game.
I have been reading thoroughly through this forum and understand the incompatibility, but I have yet to read anything directly saying the UI is is not available. My intention for asking such a simple question is to confirm that I'm not crazy.

I like Windows 8. It's faster than Windows 7 & just as stable.
Hi pbj (did I tell you that I love pb&j?). Just kidding. Nobody here intends to attack you, but the majority of HTPC users don't like Win 8.

Yes, Win 8 boots faster (or at least that's what I've read). Yes, it's just as stable (because it's based on the same technology as Win7). To be honest, if I had a touch screen device capable of running it, I'd definitely install Win8. I went to Best Buy and played with the Surface tablet. It was awesome... but not worth the price of admission for me. We have two Android tablets that get the job done at less than half the price. But... Win 8 was definitely cool. I really like the Surface's keyboard. Very nice. I can definitely see the appeal of the Surface vs. many of the available netbooks and such. Many college students will obviously choose the Surface tablet. It's like buying a tablet and netbook in one device.

But... for the HTPC user... Win 8 has some serious drawbacks. Sorry, I don't want to spend the time pointing you to the links... but it's true. Yes, you can overcome the Win8 drawbacks and make your Win8 PC do exactly what a Win7 HTPC can do... buy why?

The problem, (besides the hacks and expense you have to go through to get your Win8 machine to do what Win7 did by default) is that the Win8 "formerly known as metro" apps aren't remote-control-friendly. Sure... you can navigate the "metro" MENU with an IR remote... but once you start one of the "metro" apps... touch or mouse is the only way to control them.

For example, the new "metro" Netflix interface is great... except that it totally ignores the fact that many people would like to use an IR remote control to navigate it.

To date, none of the new "metro" apps have any compatibility with a keyboard... which excludes us HTPC users completely. You are required to use a mouse or touchpad with all of the "metro" apps.

EDIT: This problem is caused by the app developers, not by Microsoft.

brandenwan

Post by brandenwan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 am

Motz wrote:This is correct that the Echo does not currently support Windows 8.

On our website:
Minimum System Requirements:
Display with HDMI input
Wired Ethernet network (100/1000 Mbps)
PC with Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Media Center. A PC with a TV tuner is required for TV and DVR features.

Like JohnW said it does have to do with the changes that Microsoft has made in RDP in Windows 8 that affects all extenders (except Xbox because it runs special extender code). You can get video, but there is no UI, which is why you can use My Media Center apps with it to control it. We put that message on the screen to inform that it isn't fully compatible and if you did want to control it you can with the apps.

Like JohnW also said the FW update that we have been working on that integrates android with windows media center extender technology brings a lot of new features and one of them is windows 8 compatibility.
Ok, I know the ultimate sin is to ask "when" the FW update will be released ,and I know everyone, including me, has lobbied to procure an official release date ad nauseum for months now, but I think it may be reasonable at this time to ask for an official release "quarter." I presume you are far along enough with your limited beta testing to announce a "quarter" release prediction, don't you? e.g. "fall 2013," or "winter 2013" without any risk....or is that still too risky? I am not being cheeky, I am being serious. It's just that those accidental leaked pictures in the other post gave me warm fuzzies. I'm excited and I look forward to any promising words, if any, you may have Motz. :-)

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:28 pm

I am happy to see a confirmation that windows 8 will be compatible with the echo.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Winter 2014 follows Fall 2013, BTW. I'm thinking somewhere in that time frame as Fall is merely 7 weeks away as it is.

pbj

Post by pbj » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm super apprehensive to say it, but I think after the considerable delay of Echo's initial release, Ceton practicing extreme caution in terms of giving us a time frame. It's probably a wise move, too. However, I still want to know time frame! It's preventing me from buying 3 more Echo extenders.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:32 pm

pbj wrote:I'm super apprehensive to say it, but I think after the considerable delay of Echo's initial release, Ceton practicing extreme caution in terms of giving us a time frame. It's probably a wise move, too. However, I still want to know time frame! It's preventing me from buying 3 more Echo extenders.
Ceton went ahead and released an unfinished product. 100% their fault. It was clear in the beta as a tester the Echo would not meet the proposed feature set. It ended beta without 1080p!!!

My guess is Thanksgiving we'll get a preview with a release date around X-mas. Then Ceton told the truth that Android would be an X-mas present, we just had the wrong year.

pbj

Post by pbj » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 am

How did I miss this story?: http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/27/ceto ... -services/

So they've been promising Android since last year. No wonder Ceton won't say when.

brandenwan

Post by brandenwan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Winter 2014 follows Fall 2013, BTW. I'm thinking somewhere in that time frame as Fall is merely 7 weeks away as it is.
Ah yes, Sammy2. I have been watching your postings and should have known better....lol.

Technically it's 2013 since the winter solstice is on December 21st, 2013, however many clarify by stating "2013-14" so I will go with that.
;-)
My statement was therefore incomplete.
My apologies.
As Homer SImpson would say, "I digest"
I digress....back on topic...I know I will never get a date out of Ceton even if a life depended on it. lol.
It's their business decision and understandably a sound one given their past faux pas of making a holiday release promise.
I hope (and pretty much think) the major update they are working on will be great, and coupled with another $50 sale...."Winner winner chicken dinner"

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:30 pm

Financially, the Winter quarter starts on January 1. That is were I'm coming from here but any how, I think the android f/w will be out before Christmas, just like Ceton said it would.. and if they pull it off by Dec 1 it is still the Fall quarter.