TiVo-style list view of recorded shows?

Scott R

HTPC Specs: Show details

TiVo-style list view of recorded shows?

Post by Scott R » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:57 am

Is there any sort of add-on that provides a TiVo-style list views of recorded shows, ideally grouping multiple episodes together into a "folder", and ideally also providing this same interface on XBox 360 extenders? I just recently got an HDHomeRun Prime and I've got everything configured. I can adapt to (and even prefer) the WMC UI over the TiVo's in most respects, but I really don't like the horizontal scrolling coverflow-lite "Recorded TV" view. The TiVo's view (with option of grouping multiple episodes of the same show into a folder) much more useful, IMO.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:31 am

Not exactly like TiVo, as it doesn't put the most recent episode first, but if you sort by "Title", it will group tv shows together.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:13 am

Actually if you choose original air date from within the show folder it will put the newest episode first. Also if you scroll to the line just above the shows and select "info" you will have the option to use small thumbnails which works better for large collections.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:10 am

Why is the newest episode first anyway? Wouldn't it make more sense to put the oldest episode first? As it is now, I have to scroll all the way to the end of the list to watch the episodes in order.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:25 pm

I've never used it so I'm not sure if it can do what you want but I heard about this on a podcast a while back (not freeware):

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

epete

Post by epete » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 am

richard1980 wrote:Why is the newest episode first anyway? Wouldn't it make more sense to put the oldest episode first? As it is now, I have to scroll all the way to the end of the list to watch the episodes in order.
Newest is first for those who keep up with their recordings but still wanty to archive the older episodes. The assumption is that you hhave already watched the older ones so why scroll through them to get to the one you want.. There should be an option for reverse order for thise collecting shows and whant to watch by origional air date. Or maybe even make origional air date in reverse order and have recorded date in forward order.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:38 am

epete wrote:The assumption is that you hhave already watched the older ones so why scroll through them to get to the one you want.
Yeah, unfortunately the assumption may not always be correct. I would think having the list in 2 groups would be the best way. Have a group for "already watched", sorted oldest first, then have another group "not watched" sorted oldest first, with the "not watched" group in front of the "already watched" group. That way you still get the same end result but in a manner that makes more sense.

Scott R

Post by Scott R » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:56 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I did come across that recordedtvhd.com plug-in and it looked slick, but it didn't seem to offer quite what I was looking for. The built-in sorting by title, combined with the small-icon mode gets me closer to where I want to be, though I don't like having to page right/left, and would prefer a single-column list that I scroll up/down through. In small icon mode, the thumbnails also seem practically useless, so I'd prefer an option to turn those off as well. I would think being able to turn off the thumbnails and make it a single column list should be a relatively easy hack for some developer, but maybe not. In any case, I can work with what I've got. Currently, I'm still working through some HDHomeRun Prime early-adopter issues. I'm hoping it will be working near-perfectly before my return window is up, as I'd like to keep it. I love the potential of it compared to my TiVo HD and am looking forward to setting up a script which converts all my shows to an iPhone/Apple TV-friendly format. Fortunately I'm on Comcast which seems to mark all my channels as copy-freely.