Xbox differences

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Asmodeus2112

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox differences

Post by Asmodeus2112 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi, I am on the hunt to buy a used xbox 360 to use as an extender. I'd like to buy the least expensive, but my searching hasn't yielded any good information regarding WMC differences in xbox 360s. I definitely want HDMI, but outside that are there many differences between Xbox 360s?

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:51 pm

WMC itself won't be that different. You could probably get away with a component cable instead of hdmi, the quality isn't so different. if you dont need a dvd drive, you could probably get a cheap xbox on ebay... I got one for $40.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:44 pm

The quality between HDMI and component is definitely different if you are dealing with OCUR content that has the CIT bit set. If set, the resolution of component would be limited to 540p, while the HDMI output would still be able to push 1080p. I don't know how often someone would run into this problem, or if the OP is using an OCUR, so it may or may not be relevant.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:14 pm

If you want to avoid the Red Ring of Death you want to look for a system with a manufacture date after around 2008, or one with an earlier date that has been refurbished.

The refurbished models from earlier will sometimes have HDMI, but 2007 was when they started putting HDMI on the systems being sold new.

A good thing to look for is a console someone tried to mod but failed. If someone tries to hack the drive and doesn't get it right the system will no longer be able to play 360 games, but will read DVD discs.

So people will occasionally sell them as having a broken drive, but it works perfect for a Media Center setup.

As far as the different models of systems, none of them will run WMC any better.

The one nice thing about the newer slim units (the black ones with the new design) is they have built in wireless N adapters.

If you get an old system and want to go wireless, you have the get the N adapter separately, the old G adapter is pretty worthless for HD streaming.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Aren't the new units also quieter?

I a have a friend with an older XBOX and it sounds like a jet on take off when it is running.
LuckyDay wrote:If you want to avoid the Red Ring of Death you want to look for a system with a manufacture date after around 2008, or one with an earlier date that has been refurbished.

The refurbished models from earlier will sometimes have HDMI, but 2007 was when they started putting HDMI on the systems being sold new.

A good thing to look for is a console someone tried to mod but failed. If someone tries to hack the drive and doesn't get it right the system will no longer be able to play 360 games, but will read DVD discs.

So people will occasionally sell them as having a broken drive, but it works perfect for a Media Center setup.

As far as the different models of systems, none of them will run WMC any better.

The one nice thing about the newer slim units (the black ones with the new design) is they have built in wireless N adapters.

If you get an old system and want to go wireless, you have the get the N adapter separately, the old G adapter is pretty worthless for HD streaming.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Yeah, the new ones have quieter fans. But most of the noise on the old ones comes from the disc drive reading data, which most people aren't going to use on an extender.