Black screens after local transmitter upgrade!

sjpage10

HTPC Specs: Show details

Black screens after local transmitter upgrade!

Post by sjpage10 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Our local transmitter has been upgraded now I am having the issues as many others

Our TV tuned in fine however

With our windows 7 media centre channel 5 virtually always black screen with no sound ITV intermittently black screen

This is not a pc issue or TV card issue

many people are experiencing the same problem

anyone have any ideas

http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=SK809233#b717438

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:01 pm

sjpage10 wrote:With our windows 7 media centre channel 5 virtually always black screen with no sound ITV intermittently black screen
I assume that you have rescanned for channels on your HTPC? It is possible to do this without downloading the channel info from the internet. If you did it that way, Media Center may be using out-of-date channel info. So rescan for channels, and select the option to download the channel info from the internet. Note: this may disable your scheduled series recordings (i.e. they will not find any programmes to record, so you may need to delete the old scheduled recordings and create new ones; you do not need to delete the WTV files).

Screens going black suggests a weak signal. It is possible that you are receiving signals from more than one transmitter, and that Media Center has selected the weak signals from the secondary transmitter instead of the strong signals from the primary transmitter. One would expect a DVR to choose the strongest signal, but they do not always do this -- when duplicate channels exist, some choose the first signal found during the scan, and some choose the last signal found during the scan. I had this problem with a Humax HDR-Fox-T2, which picked for one of the MUXes signals from a transmitter in the opposite direction to my primary transmitter.

After you have rescanned, if you still have the problem you should go to the "Edit Sources" panel in Media Center, and look at the values shown for signal strength. Make sure that only the strongest ones are selected. "Edit Sources" lives somewhere in "Settings" in Media Center, something like: Settings -> TV -> Edit Channels -> Edit Sources.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:20 pm

If you record the channel and try and play it in VLC, does it play?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

hatton920

Post by hatton920 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:36 pm

Im having the same problem on the same transmitter, it isn't a config or pc issue as Ive tried reinstalling, reimaging and setting everything back up. Something has changed at the transmitter which causes mce to show a black screen. Progdvb does work with the affected channels, something with the transmitter mce doesn't like...

darrencotton

Post by darrencotton » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:07 am

We have the same issue in the Braunstone area of Leicester; two media centres which are completely different in components are just displaying blank screens on ITV1, Channel 5 along with several others.

It started about 2 months ago and since then I have tried everything; I have rolled back drivers, hacked the reg, updated everything, reinstalled everything...nothing has come close to fixing it!

Currently at a complete lose how to go about sorting the issue other than binning media centre for TV and switching to a set-top PVR which is more money and personally nothing comes closes to media centre in terms of functionally and looks.

If anyone has gotten any further I would be grateful!

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:47 am

Can you upload a short recording somewhere for us to take a look at?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

davefelcher

Post by davefelcher » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Same issue with the Nottingham transmitter for myself and a friend.
My TV's tuner works fine for Channel5, ITV2 and others from the same mux but they won't work on Media Center. I can watch the channels fine with Media Portal . I've gone through all the sources for Channel 5 in Media Center and none of them display a picture, even those with 60% signal strength.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Might be worth grabbing a capture of the mux using something like tsreader to see if anything looks wacky.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

davefelcher

Post by davefelcher » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:33 pm

holidayboy wrote:Might be worth grabbing a capture of the mux using something like tsreader to see if anything looks wacky.
tsreader?