System crashed - list of missed recordings?

foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

System crashed - list of missed recordings?

Post by foxwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:05 pm

I was away for a few days, and when I got back I found that my system had crashed shortly after I left home. I missed a couple of recordings that were scheduled, but there's nothing in the history to indicate that they were scheduled, but weren't recorded.

Is there any way to get a list of scheduled recordings that were missed because a system was turned off?

I also had to deal with the FiOS schedule being messed up (thanks to the heads up on this forum, I didn't spend too much time trouble-shooting that once, though I was disappointed to find that MCEBackup doesn't actually restore he channel lineup after re-running TV Setup :( )

And to cap it all, when I tried to watch an episode of a show that I had missed on CBS.com, my PC locked up about 20 seconds after I switched the video to full screen. I don't know what the hell they're doing, because full screen YouTube and some other streaming sites don't cause this problem, and this is a pretty much plain vanilla Clarkedale i3 system.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:55 pm

I don't know how you can get a list of missed recordings, but WMC should know it missed them, and record them when they're repeated next time around - even if that's beyond the two weeks EPG it currently knows about.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 pm

mark1234 wrote:I don't know how you can get a list of missed recordings, but WMC should know it missed them, and record them when they're repeated next time around - even if that's beyond the two weeks EPG it currently knows about.
Unfortunately, the main broadcast networks in the US don't do repeats. So if you miss a show on ABC, NBC or CBS, I can watch it online (and somehow manange to crash my system) or do without.

The shows on "cable" channels, like AMC, FX, USA and TNT are often repeated a couple of times during the week, but I still have to figure out whether I missed an episode or not - I don't want to watch an episode that recorded last night, if there's another episode that I should watch first to keep things in order.

Luckily, we're in a kind of in-between period at the moment - a lot of winter season shows ended a few weeks ago, and most of the summer season shows haven't started yet.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:49 pm

foxwood wrote:
mark1234 wrote:I don't know how you can get a list of missed recordings, but WMC should know it missed them, and record them when they're repeated next time around - even if that's beyond the two weeks EPG it currently knows about.
Unfortunately, the main broadcast networks in the US don't do repeats. So if you miss a show on ABC, NBC or CBS, I can watch it online (and somehow manange to crash my system) or do without.

The shows on "cable" channels, like AMC, FX, USA and TNT are often repeated a couple of times during the week, but I still have to figure out whether I missed an episode or not - I don't want to watch an episode that recorded last night, if there's another episode that I should watch first to keep things in order.

Luckily, we're in a kind of in-between period at the moment - a lot of winter season shows ended a few weeks ago, and most of the summer season shows haven't started yet.
Look the show up on http://thetvdb.com/

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 pm

foxwood wrote:Unfortunately, the main broadcast networks in the US don't do repeats.
Really? Wow. Whilst the cable/satellite channels here repeat things ad infinitum over the course of the next week or so, even the main channels will repeat the main shows. There is even a channel, 4Seven, where the main purpose is repeat the highlights from Channel 4 over the next week. (4Seven, Channel 4, 7 days, geddit?)
foxwood wrote:Luckily, we're in a kind of in-between period at the moment - a lot of winter season shows ended a few weeks ago, and most of the summer season shows haven't started yet.
Completely off topic, I know, sorry. What's looking good for summer? We used to watch Eureka, but that finished last year. I'm looking forward to Under the Dome, thinking it'll be like a grown up version of The Simpsons' Movie!

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:01 pm

Under the Dome, and gonna give the new Primeval a shot (the original series was blargh; but it's got dinosaurs). That's about it.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Primeval: New World has already been shown elsewhere. The wife & kids watched it, but not my kind of thing.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 pm

Yeah, it's a BBC show so you get it first over there. It only premieres on Syfy this Saturday I believe.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 pm

foxwood wrote:
Major US networks usually run repeats after the season is over. That is how they fill the time slots for most shows. WMC is actually smart enough to know that even though it is a repeat that it has not recorded that particular episode (if the EPG is correct) that it will record it in the off season. You just have to wait for the off season :-)

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:45 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Major US networks usually run repeats after the season is over. That is how they fill the time slots for most shows. WMC is actually smart enough to know that even though it is a repeat that it has not recorded that particular episode (if the EPG is correct) that it will record it in the off season. You just have to wait for the off season :-)
Very very very few network shows have repeats in the US like you're talking about/what the OP desires. Most of the time when a season/show is over they will either replace it with a different 'summer' or 'mid-season' show; or they show repeats of the original show - but from an older/not current season. I can recall less than a handful of shows where they showed repeats of the show's current season as it was airing (like on a different night), or when the season concluded.

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:49 pm

You can go into the start menu, right click on computer select manage. Go to the event viewer. There should be a tab application events and one of those should be Windows Media Center. There should be a warning listed there as to what programs were missed.

I hope this is what you are looking for.
Last edited by jjhtpc on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:07 pm

staknhalo wrote:I can recall less than a handful of shows where they showed repeats of the show's current season as it was airing (like on a different night), or when the season concluded.
Yes, a repeat of the 2nd last episode of a series aired 3 months after the last episode is pretty much useless

If only someone could invent a magical technology for sharing recordings of TV shows you might have missed ;)

That still leaves the issue of figuring out what you might have missed, though.