using IR learning remote w/ xbox . . . .

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
brantmacga

HTPC Specs: Show details

using IR learning remote w/ xbox . . . .

Post by brantmacga » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:41 am

I've been using the MS media remote w/ my xbox extenders and it works fine except in the living room I have an AVR for surround sound, I the xbox remote cannot control the volume. it gets aggrivating to keep up w/ two separate remotes just to have volume control.

I've looked @ the harmony xbox remote (no longer made, but found used online) and it doesn't have great reviews. I'm looking for a simple remote that can power on/off the TV, AVR, and xbox.

I found the harmony 300; it works with all the devices and is a learning remote. Can those colored buttons be programmed to perform the same funcions as the xbox remote buttons? Also, and this is important to me, can you program one of the buttons to mimic the 'X' button at the top of the xbox media remote?

thanks for any suggestions.

brantmacga

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by brantmacga » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:52 pm

i bought the harmony 300 today; it is working great!

the colored buttons were easily changed to mimic the xbox buttons; it also has five buttons that can be programmed to do anything. i set one as the xbox guide button, and another as the media center green button.

this was the perfect solution for $29.99; i've got everything i was looking for.

my only complaints are:

while adding devices and programming the buttons was simple, syncing the remote with the computer was not. it hung the first couple of times and i had to restart the process. after my first successful remote sync, i made some changes and needed to sync again: this time i received "server error" notifications from the logitech website. I had to login again several times, as i kept getting the server erros. It was an hour long process to setup the remote because of this. but the remote functionality itself is fantastic. the IR eye has much better range than any of my device remotes and the xbox media remote.