Using a WMC remote with Xbox 360 Question

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
glassbottmboat

HTPC Specs: Show details

Using a WMC remote with Xbox 360 Question

Post by glassbottmboat » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:00 pm

OK I bought a HP D4000 Media Center remote from a HP MediaSmart HDTV thinking I would just use it in place of the Xbox 360 media remote but it doesn't seem to be working. I thought any media center remote was able to work with the Xbox 360. I went through the settings in the Xbox to use both remotes but it still does nothing.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this work or am I stuck with a paper weight. I really like this remote it's very nice and it's also able to control 4 other devices.

My setup:
Using my 360 as an media center extender for my Win 7 Media Center PC.

Thanks

cgrossman

Post by cgrossman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:09 pm

If you can't get it to work, maybe you want to sell it. I was thinking of getting a remote like this. Let me know.

glassbottmboat

Post by glassbottmboat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:20 am

Well I did find out it won't work with the 360 so I'm going to see if it will work with my PC with Win 7 MC I had to buy the IR receiver and that will be here tomorrow so we'll see if that will work. If it doesn't work I'll keep you in mind. But just to let you know this particular one you can'r reassign the smartTV device only the 4 other device buttons are programmable.

cgrossman

Post by cgrossman » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm just looking for a remote that works with WMC7 where the power button turns the tv on/off and perhaps also controls the volume on the TV. Does that remote do that?

glassbottmboat

Post by glassbottmboat » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:32 pm

cgrossman wrote:I'm just looking for a remote that works with WMC7 where the power button turns the tv on/off and perhaps also controls the volume on the TV. Does that remote do that?
Well I just received the IR receiver for this remote, should have just bought both together but I thought just the remote might work with xbox 360, but it didn't (at first). First I found out the remote code for WMC which is 5018 or 5020 for this remote and wala pointed it at the 360 pressed the green button and on turned the 360 into WMC. So now I know this remote alone works for the 360 so then I plugged the IR receiver into my HTPC, let windows install the drivers and hit the green button and bingo WMC started right up and all buttons are working.

This remote (D4000) is for a HP Media Smart TV so at the top of the remote it has 5 devices it supports, The HP MediaSmart TV, CBL, DVD, AVR & AUX. You can't reassign the MediaSmart TV Device, but you can reassign the other 4 devices. I have my HTPC set to AUX, my Samsung Plasma set to CBL and my Denon AVR set to AVR. Now here was my only problem that I've encountered with this remote and receiver, I have a 64" Plasma, I have the IR receiver mounted in my entertainment center directly under my TV which goes to my HTPC in another room. The problem was that my Plasma TV screen was giving off a ton of IR interference and overloading the IR receiver to the point that the remote would not even work. After hours of scouring the internet for a solution I came up with my own I covered about 3/4 of the IR lens of the receiver with black electrical tape and it finally worked perfectly with great range.

So to answer your question, yes this remote + IR receiver will control WMC7 and give you 3 more devices to program as well.

cgrossman

Post by cgrossman » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:45 pm

Well I'm glad it worked out for you. What I'd really like is for the power button and volume buttons on the remote to work with the TV and the other buttons to work with WMC without having to push extra buttons on the remote. I want it easy for the wife and kids. Will that remote do that?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:05 pm

cgrossman wrote:Well I'm glad it worked out for you. What I'd really like is for the power button and volume buttons on the remote to work with the TV and the other buttons to work with WMC without having to push extra buttons on the remote. I want it easy for the wife and kids. Will that remote do that?
If the Xbox Universal Media Remote (the white one) doesn't suit your needs, the OrigenAE will:

http://www.origenae.co.kr/en/accessory_rc197.htm

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:42 pm

cgrossman wrote:Well I'm glad it worked out for you. What I'd really like is for the power button and volume buttons on the remote to work with the TV and the other buttons to work with WMC without having to push extra buttons on the remote. I want it easy for the wife and kids. Will that remote do that?
I have set up 3 Logitech Harmony 300i's to do just that for WAF.

Using the Harmony software, I set the remote to have just a single device - Windows Media Center. Then I "correct" the power, volume and mute buttons, training them with the remote from the TV. Setting it up the way Logitech suggests (2 devices, one for the TV one for Media Center, then switching modes when you want to change the volume, was just stupid).

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:28 pm

foxwood wrote:
I have set up 3 Logitech Harmony 300i's to do just that for WAF.

Using the Harmony software, I set the remote to have just a single device - Windows Media Center. Then I "correct" the power, volume and mute buttons, training them with the remote from the TV. Setting it up the way Logitech suggests (2 devices, one for the TV one for Media Center, then switching modes when you want to change the volume, was just stupid).
You must not know about the volume control customization. http://blog.logitech.com/2010/04/27/har ... rmony-300/

cgrossman

Post by cgrossman » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 pm

I kinda like the HP remote though. I have one right now that looks the same but is not programmable. So your HP remote won't do what I'm looking for?

Listen97

Post by Listen97 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I use a Harmony as well. Works like a dream. Even programed the red, green, blue, and yellow buttons to the correct a,b,x,y.

cgrossman

Post by cgrossman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 am

What I mean is, if I use that HP remote, will I have to press TV, then Power to turn on the TV, then Aux, then channel up/down to be able to change the channel on the HTPC? And then TV, Volume up/down, then Aux again to control the HTPC? Or is the remote smart enough to send power/volume to TV, and everything else to AUX, or MediaSmart, etc?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:08 am

That's called volume punch thru or volume lock. Most universal remotes have that feature. The subject HP does as well, described in detail HERE(HP calls it volume mapping).

But I honestly can't see the appeal of this particular remote when other universals can be had for $15 which are far better in almost every way, adding macros, learning, more devices, device specific macros, device specific volume punch thru, 2 functions per button per device, even programming via PC/Mac with an optional $10 cable, such as the RCA RCRP05B. The RCA is also far more functional than harmony models costing several times as much. Heck, even an old free cable remote can do all of that.

martienroemer

Post by martienroemer » Sun May 12, 2013 11:02 am

Ho I have the same remote and cannot find a manual to find how to get in the learning function .
Can you help ?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun May 12, 2013 6:15 pm

martienroemer wrote:
Ho I have the same remote and cannot find a manual to find how to get in the learning function .
Can you help ?
It is not a learning remote. You use the codes from the instructions I linked a few posts back.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun May 12, 2013 11:01 pm

The remote in question is the one that ships with the HP X280N Media Center extender. It's OK, but it's not a learning remote nor does it have any macros. You can setup volume punch-through... and that's about it. I agree with other comments that you should get a remote that supports macros if you really want something simple that the wife and kids can use.